Sunn Mustang Strat, bridge block collapse, solution?

What's Hot
A friend in France has just been asked if he can fix a Sunn Mustang Strat, the trem block has collapsed, as they do, is there a solution? Appears to be 50mm pivot screw and string spacing @HarrySeven? Anyone?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    edited June 20
    Trying to recall whether the stock Sunn vibrato bridge is the same Sung-il unit seen on numerous Squier and MIM Fender guitars in years gone by?

Distinguishing features are a skinny, tapered zinc sustain block and a tendency for the arm to break off in the threaded section.

Given the popularity of upgrading this part, there should be plenty of 'em floating about in Fretboarders' parts drawers. (I probably have one myself.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    IIRC, the screw/string spacing is narrow and very few replacements are drop in.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Encore strats have the same bridge with the odd string spacing. Hope that helps.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8122
    edited June 20
    impmann said:
    Encore strats have the same bridge with the odd string spacing. Hope that helps.
    For a while, both Sunn Mustang (gold logo and Strat-style headstock) and Encore Strat copies were made in the same Indian factory. They both share a slight quirk in the radius of the headstock lower bout which indicates their origin. The first-run versions are solid wood, with very playable, nice quality slim necks. Hardware is cheap and cheerful, but with some not-too-expensive upgrades, they make pretty decent guitars.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15225
    The very earliest Indian-made Sunn Mustangs imported into the UK were, indeed, fashioned from solid wood. They came with Don Lace S-100 sensors. The music shop in my town could not drum up any interest in this new make/model. Eventually, they offered it at a huge discount. I bought it just to rob out the pickups.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    Thanks folks
    It would appear that he is unlikely to find a replacement, he is talking about having a go at making a replacement brass block, hes braver than me!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll