guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15021
edited June 20 in Tributes tFB Trader
RIP
love that scene in Kelly’sHeros when he walks out to face the Tiger Tanks

Negative ways man - RIP
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4303
    I feel unreasonably sad about this. 88 isn't a bad age, and I didn't know him or anything, but he feels like someone who's always been there.

Absolutely fantastic actor, I can't think of anything I've seen him in that I didn't enjoy.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1430
    Oh wow. RIP. One of my favourite actors. Definitely a Hollywood legend. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
    Always with the negative waves Moriarty….

Oddball was one of his finest roles
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15021
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Always with the negative waves Moriarty….

Oddball was one of his finest roles
    Think Oddball was the first role I saw him

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    Of course he was great in M*A*S*H.

He was also in Steelyard Blues, which I haven't seen in donkey's years but remember it being a good film.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    I most associate him with Don't Look Now and The Eagle Has Landed (which was my introduction to him so I assumed he was Irish for a long time). Yes, Hollywood legend. RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19799
    He had an amazing career over 70 years, producing a huge body of work from 'B' movies, comedies & serious heavyweight roles. 
    However I still can't forgive him for getting that close (!) to the lovely Julie Christie in Don't Look Now though... RIP.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73541
    I always associate him with the 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. One of the only remakes that’s better than the original, and possibly the best ever.

Don't Look Now is even better, with a similarly shocking ending that relies on his performance for its impact.

RIP :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 450
    edited June 21
    Oh wow, RIP Donald. 

A brilliant actor that appeared in a huge range of things. Teenage me was so impressed when he cropped up in Animal House, bear bum and all.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6220
    ICBM said:
    I always associate him with the 1978 Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. One of the only remakes that’s better than the original, and possibly the best ever.

Don't Look Now is even better, with a similarly shocking ending that relies on his performance for its impact.

RIP :(
    Those films together with Klute and Ordinary People were his high points. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11500
    If I could pick a speaking voice his would be near the top of the list.
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 271
    Seeing Kelly’s Heros on TV as a lad and struggling to square his character with the stereotypical military films confused me but always stuck with me. I always enjoyed his roles in the movies I saw. Truly a loss of a legend. 
  • westwest Frets: 1010
    Immense screen presence ..... !  
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    As others have said, utter classic.  And what a cast.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers  Coolidge Corner Theater
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3630
    Seeing Kelly’s Heros on TV as a lad and struggling to square his character with the stereotypical military films confused me but always stuck with me. I always enjoyed his roles in the movies I saw. Truly a loss of a legend. 
    His role was to appeal to the yoof of the day, it was the season of the hippy so that was to get bums on seats in the cinema and nothing to do with historical accuracy, although it’s now a historical fact.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4834
    Also worth checking out: Citizen X, an excellent TV movie about the hunt for a Russian serial killer, for which he won an Emmy and a Golden Globe.  (Also features Stephen Rea and Max Von Sydow.)  It's on YouTube.

RIP, Donald.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 575
    A class act indeed, but its got to be the character he played in Kelly's Heroes that did it for me . . Oddball :-)  Just excellent, super laid back, and stole the show . . .  RIP Donald . . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    Don't Look Now and the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers are absolute classics, and I'd almost forgotten Klute, what a film that was.  But he always added a touch of class to even the bad films he appeared in.  And he was in Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, which makes him very cool in my book.

RIP.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Philly_Q said:
    ...he was in Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, which makes him very cool in my book.

RIP.
    "This town isn't big enough for two doctors... or two vampires..."

Definitely excellent!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    Philly_Q said:
    Don't Look Now and the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers are absolute classics, and I'd almost forgotten Klute, what a film that was.  But he always added a touch of class to even the bad films he appeared in.  And he was in Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, which makes him very cool in my book.

RIP.
    All true.

Also in more recent times, totally nailed the role of Snow in the Hunger Games films, helping elevate the performance of inexperienced but gifted Jennifer Lawrence in every scene they shared.

Looking through the filmography - some great under-rated performances in there!  The IRA man in Eagle Has Landed, the bad-guy general in Outbreak (the film that taught the world we were being lied to when they told us we were all getting covid from door handles)...

Wonderful actor, RIP,
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...