SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Feeler: FS MJW 1x12 Open Back Cab w/8 ohm Cannabis Rex Speaker

What's Hot
jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
edited November 2014 in Amps £
Ok just putting it out there as I have cabs I prefer and this is taking up space - really solid and oversized 1x12 cab. Birch ply, tan Tolex, dark brown grille cloth, white piping and leather carry handle. Sounds great and BIG for a 1x12. It's the matching cab to my lovely MJW Electra but I've found I prefer the tone of my pine Cornford 1x12 which is softer in tone and a little clearer.

This MJW pumps out some bass in comparison and with the Cannabis Rex in particular it is noticeably louder than my other 1x12s. Would probably suit higher-gain amps very well. Condition is 8-9/10. Gigged but still very nice. You can have it unloaded for £140 or with the C Rex for £180. The speaker has had a tiny bit of damage on the very outside of the cone but this had been repaired and makes no difference to performance. Pickup from in or around Manchester/north west only I'm afraid, far too big to post!! Pics up when I get to a computer.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
    tFB Trader
    Hey man, would you sell the cannabis Rex separately? Been looking for one for ages. Will be in manchester next Sunday too, so could pick it up. Cheers.
  • Looks like the speaker is sold! Offers for the cab?
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057

I'm looking for a reasonable empty 1x12, but could really do with seeing a pic a having the dimensions. 

Also are you sure you couldn't pop it in a box with 20 yards of bubble wrap?

:D

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    edited November 2014
    My laptop is currently 'out of commission' (someone spilt a drink in it while I was DJing. I was upset) so posting a picture is difficult at the moment but I will get one up ASAP - If you search 'MJW Electra' on the forum you should see my amp with cab. Will get dimensions up. And I'm sure we can sort out postage or delivery - pm me you location.
  • There is a picture up of what I presume is my cab on the mjw site - http://www.martamp.com/amps.html - it's the tan cab at the bottom of the page!!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader

Yep, this is the one:

Note that this is a 'lightweight' cab made from 12mm instead of 18mm ply.

Dimensions are 600 x 300 x 450 mm (wxdxh).

Cheers! :)

• Martin you're a wonderful man, thank you!!
  • martinw;403561" said:
    Yep, this is the one:Note that this is a 'lightweight' cab made from 12mm instead of 18mm ply.Dimensions are 600 x 300 x 450 mm (wxdxh).Cheers! :)
    What sort of amps would a cab and speaker like this be voiced for? I don't know much about speakers not made by celestion!

But it looks very pretty indeed...
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 799
    edited November 2014
    The c rex is gone now but I'd say it's American voiced, smooth full cleans and 'fluid' leads - not really a 'crunchy' speaker but great for taming highs.

As I said above it has plenty of lows and a firm sound so good for higher gain as well as lighter stuff. Martin i'm sure will be able to give his opinion/comment on design...
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2057
    My laptop is currently 'out of commission' (someone spilt a drink in it while I was DJing. I was upset) so posting a picture is difficult at the moment but I will get one up ASAP - If you search 'MJW Electra' on the forum you should see my amp with cab. Will get dimensions up. And I'm sure we can sort out postage or delivery - pm me you location.
    Cheers for the response and sorry for the delay in responding - I got sidetracked by last night's pyromania, which I largely enjoyed alone with a bottle of ale as my girls are too frightened of anything louder than a Disney princess film... And thanks to @martinw for the pic and dimensions.  Really very interested.  Will PM with details. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

tFB Trader

It'll do whatever you want it to, I wouldn't like to put a cab into a genre or style. Most of the character of the cab is a function of the speaker choice and it's volume. This is quite a roomy cab, so it has a 'big' sound, along with being open-backed.

The difference between 12 and 18mm ply is quite subtle, and really only comes in at high volume. Having used both for general purpose cover bands, I've not noticed much of a difference.

However the Rough Brown tolex, Oxblood grill cloth and leather strap will give the cab a much more American tone ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    is the baffle big enough to take a 15" speaker 
    ie - is there a generous 2 inches in the depth top and bottom -it certainly doesn t look like a problem widthwise
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    is the baffle big enough to take a 15" speaker 
    ie - is there a generous 2 inches in the depth top and bottom -it certainly doesn t look like a problem widthwise
    No, don't think there is.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    thanks but does that mean there is room or not ?
    nice cab -i hope it would work
  • martinw said:

It'll do whatever you want it to, I wouldn't like to put a cab into a genre or style. Most of the character of the cab is a function of the speaker choice and it's volume. This is quite a roomy cab, so it has a 'big' sound, along with being open-backed.

The difference between 12 and 18mm ply is quite subtle, and really only comes in at high volume. Having used both for general purpose cover bands, I've not noticed much of a difference.

However the Rough Brown tolex, Oxblood grill cloth and leather strap will give the cab a much more American tone ;)

Yeah, the 12mm thing was what I meant.  Cool :D

Except I just realised pickup from Manchester.  Sorry :( GLWS, cracking looking cab!
  • Cheers guys, pretty sure McToot is taking it and speaker also gone so it's off the market! Thanks again for the input martin, much appreciated!