Dual-sound Tele Bridge pickup

I have a Squier Cabronita with a standard bridge pickup and a Fidelitron(?) in the neck position. I'd like a bridge pickup that would give me 2 sounds using a push-push pot. Currently swithering between an Oil City Wapping Wharf (switch the extra turns in and out) or a Seymour Duncan Lil '59 (tap one of the coils in/out). Any thoughts, or alternatives?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14879
    As you know, the OCP Wapping Wharf amounts to their Honkytonk Angel model with a secondary winding for increased output. Low output will yield authentic Telecaster sounds.

The SD Li'l '59 amounts to a humbucker in Telecaster size. Neither full nor partial coil splitting turns it into a Fender single coil.

There is now a regular production line SD Li'l Pearly Gates bridge position for Telecaster. Its alnico magnet makes for more believable PAF sounds than the Li'l '59 but it cannot reproduce the twang of a single coil around six rod magnets.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 644
    The SD lil series sound terrible split ( the lil 59 I had for a while sounded nothing approaching a full size 59 either) the red devil I have sounds quite good in parallel though.
    DiMarzio Track pickups also sound better in parallel mode rather than split.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2433
    edited June 25
    I've had a Wapping Wharf in my Tele for several years. A great pickup that gives two excellent and very useable sounds. It's a keeper.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8883
    All my recent guitars use a Wapping Wharf. Two very useable sounds, plus you’ve got a choice of sounds to pair with the neck pickup.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34050
    This is a slightly different idea but I do this with a Harmonic Designs Super 90 but I don't do it with a switch.
    I do it with the volume pot.

Volume pot up full = P90.
    Volume pot at 50% = trad Tele.

https://www.harmonicdesign.net/allpages/teles.html
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4286
    I might be imagining it but I'm pretty sure I had a BKP Piledriver (or similar?) at one point that had an extra tap on the coil so that I could flick between full and 'vintage' output levels or some such - I'm sure that any UK builder could do the same if asked.
    edited June 25
     BKP Piledriver
    You are not imagining it. The Piledriver models allowed customers to channel their inner Rick Parfitt. Coil tap may have been an extra cost option. (Just as it is on the Seymour Duncan STL-3 Quarter-Pound model.)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11217
    tFB Trader
    I might be imagining it but I'm pretty sure I had a BKP Piledriver (or similar?) at one point that had an extra tap on the coil so that I could flick between full and 'vintage' output levels or some such - I'm sure that any UK builder could do the same if asked.
    See my Wapping Wharf above :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message