Padded microphone pouches

What's Hot
Doea anyone have any recommendations for mic pouches that are more padded than your regular type that come with Shure 58s etc? I want to take a CAD m179 and a couple of TBone RM700s in my backpack soon without their big bulky boxes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 326
    1. Put the mic in its standard pouch into a jiffy bag. You could even put that jiffy bag into a larger jiffy bag.

2. Wrap each mic in as much bubblewrap as it takes to make you feel safe.

3. Put each mic into a sock - or multiple socks - and then into their standard pouches. If you are worried about fluff from the socks, put each mic into a plastic bag, for example, a freezer bag, and then into the sock(s).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 947
    edited June 28
    Very good shout, thanks. They don't have any pouches currently, just the big bulky boxes, but if I don't find any, jiffy bags will be the way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
    Just an observation - I don’t think socks are a great idea, because dust is the real enemy of microphones, and an open textile like a sock, rubbing against the hard steel mesh, will inevitably create microscopic fibres.  I think a much better material would be the kind of whitish, foamed plastic you get in sheets that’s used for padding parcels.  It’s less static than bubblewrap and offers good shock protection.  Jus sayin’ . . .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34260
    JohnS37 said:
    Just an observation - I don’t think socks are a great idea, because dust is the real enemy of microphones, and an open textile like a sock, rubbing against the hard steel mesh, will inevitably create microscopic fibres.  I think a much better material would be the kind of whitish, foamed plastic you get in sheets that’s used for padding parcels.  It’s less static than bubblewrap and offers good shock protection.  Jus sayin’ . . .
    +1.

This is what I do.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3778
    Clip top sándwich box with 3” deep furniture foam cut for the mics.
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 226
    I have a couple of microphone pouches, one came with a Cascade fathead which it was posted in (same microphone as the RM700 just different branding) and the other came with another microphone. They're both identical and have thick padded lining on the inside. They look pretty generic, made in china...

They look just like this...
    Carry pouch ONLY PreSonus M7 microphone condenser mic soft case travel bag | eBay

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8686
    If you have any blocks of the white extruded polyethylene foam that's used to brace heavy items like amps in their box you can make padded "sleeves" for mics.  If you don't have a thick enough rectangle you can use solvent glue of the type that melts plastics together and glue a couple of pieces together.  Use a long thin knife to poke all the way through it longwise and then cut out a fairly round hole through its length.  Make the hole smaller in diameter than the mic so you have to push it in quite forcibly.  For SM types with the round mesh end you can enlarge that separately.  A fine-toothed hole cutting saw on an extension can be used by hand to bore holes, and other things like a fine-toothed padsaw or a piece of metal tubing sharpened to a cutting edge on one end will work.

Insert something tubular of the approximate diameter of the mic, like a narrow deodorant can, and with it stood up on end start slicing off the excess bulk of foam as though you were paring off the outside of an elongated pineapple.  When finished you should have a resilient bouncy sleeve that holds the mic tightly and is much less bulky than a box.