Cash deposit limit?

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5880
So, just went to pay not an insignificant amount of cash into my bank at the post office, because all the banks have closed branches for miles around.

The lady counted the cash and when she went to pay it in it declined because it was too large - wasn't massive in the grand scheme, only £4k.

She then tried to deposit it in two sums of the same amount.  The first went through ok but the second deposit was declined so I was only able to pay half the amount into my account!

The lady in the post office couldn't tell me why; whether it was a limit imposed by Lloyds or a limit imposed by the Post Office.

I've just phoned my bank and they claim there is no deposit limit on the account, but that I can only pay in £2995 per month in cash via the post office.  So not even a daily limit!

Yet, the post office, according to their website, claim the daily cash deposit limit is set by the bank!

So, in order to pay the rest of the cash in I have to travel way out of town to visit a branch of Lloyds, if any still exist, or wait a whole month!

Anyone else had issues paying into Lloyds via the Post Office?  Or is this just the death knell of using cash?

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    is part of the push to Cashless Society... I have same issue with my PO because of the closure of ALL HSBC branches within a 25 mile radius
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5880
    I would suspect that this was an anti money laundering control, but it does seem to have been taken to ridiculous lengths.

I used to work for a well known building society and if due to AML policy then things have become much tighter since I quit during covid.  Cash deposit limit before having to raise suspicion or ask for the source of funds then was £10k.

I think this was an FCA thing, not set by the financial organisation accepting deposits.  Weird!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    edited July 2
    I would suspect that this was an anti money laundering control, but it does seem to have been taken to ridiculous lengths.

It’s definitely going to be an AML thing, but there’s no good reason they can’t just have you signed a form where you’ve ticked a box saying “proceeds from sale of car” or whatever. 

It’s bonkers. And of course it won’t change people over to using electronic payments for everything - everyone over 50 will just keep bigger stocks of cash at home
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • "Look at me! Look at me! I've got £4000!"

Pathetic...

;) 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    "Look at me! Look at me! I've got £4000!"

Pathetic...

;) 
    Ha!  If only!  It's not my money, I'm just caretaker.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204

It’s definitely going to be an AML thing, but there’s no good reason they can’t just have you signed a form where you’ve ticked a box saying “proceeds from sale of car” or whatever. 

It’s bonkers. And of course it won’t change people over to using electronic payments for everything - everyone over 50 will just keep bigger stocks of cash at home
    Everyone over 50?  We're not all living in the Green Shield stamps and rationing age, Mr 39-year-old!

I've got about £5.73 in cash in my house, and that's including a guesstimate of what I might find down the back of the sofa.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 697
    I normally launder that kind of money through a couple of shell companies based in Gibraltar. It works well for me. If you want to give me the cash I can help you out and double your money. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Penn said:
    I normally launder that kind of money through a couple of shell companies based in Gibraltar. It works well for me. If you want to give me the cash I can help you out and double your money. 
    I'll let you know.  I've just given my account details to a Nigerian prince, so I'm expecting to be minted by the end of the day.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1239
    tFB Trader
    Have you got another account you can pay the rest into and transfer it over? 
  • Haych said:

Pathetic...

;) 
    That's what every good money launderer would say. Bank was clearly right in having these limits!  =)
    Haych said:

Pathetic...

;) 
    That's what every good money launderer would say. Bank was clearly right in having these limits!  =)

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19798
    Philly_Q said:

Everyone over 50?  We're not all living in the Green Shield stamps and rationing age, Mr 39-year-old!

I've got about £5.73 in cash in my house, and that's including a guesstimate of what I might find down the back of the sofa.
    Oooh, hark at him with his sofa...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    Haych said:
    Penn said:
    I'll let you know.  I've just given my account details to a Nigerian prince, so I'm expecting to be minted by the end of the day.
    He’s moved to his aunty &his uncles in Bel Air 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    Philly_Q said:

Oooh, hark at him with his sofa...
    That was a bit of dramatic licence...  Actually I've got some old cane furniture, including a two-seater which has so much junk piled up on it that nobody's sat on it this century.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 697
    Haych said:
    Haych said:

Pathetic...

;) 

Surely you mean half the money is resting in your account? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1010
    I sold a tom anderson recently , went to deposit cash  in in the coventry b/s  after the usual hookers and coke (mind your own buisness quip)   they wouldnt accept it unless i told them where it was from and show a receipt , i got the manager and they 'let me off' without a receipt this time ... Fuckers  !!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Well our village PO closed around a year back and so did our local branch of Barclays.  Mrs O has just been sent a tax rebate cheque but fuck knows when or where she's going to pay it in to our account.

So a moot point :-)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19798
    Offset said:
    Well our village PO closed around a year back and so did our local branch of Barclays.  Mrs O has just been sent a tax rebate cheque but fuck knows when or where she's going to pay it in to our account.

Whoa, I didn't realise you lived in the same village as me!
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 270
    Offset said:

Most good banks allow cheque deposits via their banking app, just need to take a pic of the cheque. Also gets instantly credited to the account
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom