How do the UK guitar builders compare?

What's Hot
willowillo Frets: 417
I'm interested in better understanding the relative quality of some of the British guitar makers - the ones I'm most aware of are:

- Fidelity
- PJD
- Gordon Smith
- Ancoats Guitars

(I'll leave Eggle out of it because my understanding is they are exceptional quality, but the price is above anything I would be able to pay).

How do the above makers, and any others in that sub-£3k bracket, compare to more established brands in terms of quality, and to which would you compare them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484
    I’ve only played Ivison and Atkin, and they beat the pants off pretty much anything I’ve played from the big US brands, but they’re also above the bracket you mentioned. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
    I have an older Eggle.  Outstanding instrument.    I don’t get the silly prices today though.

You could check out older Berlin or LA Plus models. Might get a fab player.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5563
    Fidelity is awesome. Unique guitars but felt a lot like the Novos I’ve owned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    edited July 5
    A & P Richardson. 

I’ve got one of their strats, and it wiped the floor with any custom shop Fender strat I’ve had my hands on.  A spectacular guitar. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2980
    willo said:

How do the above makers, and any others in that sub-£3k bracket, compare to more established brands in terms of quality, and to which would you compare them?
    I've ordered two guitars from Gordon Smith in recent years (since the Auden take-over). The first was quite similar in spec to a Gibson USA SG Junior, but slightly cheaper and came with numerous custom specs (including colour). The second immediately became my favourite guitar, though it now has to complete with the very different Strandberg. 

You'll certainly get better resale values on an established brand like Gibson, but then again I've never considered selling either of my GS guitars, but I've owned about eight Gibsons and only kept one, (which may well go up for sale before too long). So I guess I'm happy that Gibsons hold their value well... ;) 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    I’d add Trent to the list.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1303
    tFB Trader
    Look also at Gray Guitars. Incredible build quality.

It's worth pointing out you're comparing small factories (PJD and Auden) with individual builders. So you can expect a greater degree of uniformity from the factory workshop. 

The styles of guitar are quite different, so check the ranges out and see what model grabs you. Ancoats and Fidelity regularly do guitar shows around the UK, so you can try various models in person.

I've been a big fan of Fidelity for a good while, and bought mine earlier this year. I can absolutely recommend the ordering experience and the guitar is lovely.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 829
    edited July 5
    One of the Fidelity guitars I had was exceptional. Solid wenge neck, mojo pickups. It sounded epic. 

Had a couple of PJD guitars. They were nicely made but didn’t keep them long. Quick big necks. 

Gordon Smith are completely customisable. They can be heavy. I’d probably only have GS guitars if it wasn’t for the brass nut. I don’t like the effect it has on the sound. But that is their USP, so it’s my problem.  

PJD and GS depreciate a lot. Best to pick them up second hand or try before you buy. 

The Trent I had was brilliant. Shouldn’t have sold it. Light, built beautifully and sounded great.  

There’s Ruby guitars too. I haven’t played one, but they look good. 

Recently picked up a Cream T Crossfire with the pickup swapping system. First impressions are positive. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1684
    Feline? Wonderful guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • willowillo Frets: 417
    timhulio said:
    It's worth pointing out you're comparing small factories (PJD and Auden) with individual builders. So you can expect a greater degree of uniformity from the factory workshop. 

Loads of great recommendations across this thread, thanks everyone.

They are different types of businesses and, I assume, delivering at different quality levels based on their differing price points. But, for example, if you were looking to benchmark the brands against mainstream brands we've all had experience with...would PJD equate to a Fender Professional? And Fidelity is at a CS level?

It's a flawed system of comparison but I'm just trying to get a sense of it, which is very hard being not near any of the guitars.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1789
    willo said:
    I'm interested in better understanding the relative quality of some of the British guitar makers - the ones I'm most aware of are:

- Fidelity
    - PJD
    - Gordon Smith
    - Ancoats Guitars

(I'll leave Eggle out of it because my understanding is they are exceptional quality, but the price is above anything I would be able to pay).

Michael Eastwood is probably you of the best U.K. luthiers 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    In the acoustic world, UK builders are second to none: Atkin, Brook and Lowden are all first class. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 249
    The Gordon Smith guitars I’ve tried haven’t been great, super heavy and poor tuning stability/setup. Their more recent models look a bit of a step up though? 
  • gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 697
    Where do you live Willo?
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    If anybody recommends Elson Guitars, either direct them to an optician or stab them in their eyes with a fork!
  • iheartreverbiheartreverb Frets: 80
    mo6020 said:
    I’ve only played Ivison and Atkin, and they beat the pants off pretty much anything I’ve played from the big US brands, but they’re also above the bracket you mentioned. 

I’d second this. The Atkin electrics I’ve tried have all been exceptional 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    mo6020 said:

I’d second this. The Atkin electrics I’ve tried have all been exceptional 
    I haven't played any electric Atkins yet but their acoustics are incredible and easily up there with any of the boutique guys in the US
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
    I have interviewed a few UK luthiers on my blog, and some great guitar makers are in the UK. Top-notch work and custom orders, etc

The best thing to do is try some out where possible or contact the builders, then go from there.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    Tannin said:
    In the acoustic world, UK builders are second to none: Atkin, Brook and Lowden are all first class. 
    I've never played a Brook or an Atkin that I didn't want to own. And every Lowden I've played has also sounded great (but I don't like how it feels under my fingers). The only exception being the Wee Lowden, which sounded awful to me from the "players perspective". 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2931
    willo said:

- Fidelity
    - PJD
    - Gordon Smith
    - Ancoats Guitars

Michael Eastwood is probably you of the best U.K. luthiers 
    Brian’s lad?