Squier Bronco Bass pickup upgrades advice needed?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
I acquired a Squier Bronco Bass, which was found abandoned by a canal a few years ago and given to me.

I've set it up, and it plays so much better than it ought to. Plus, as it is a short scale, my guitarist's brain loves playing it, and it has fast become my 'couch bass'. 

My question is that I would like to look for a slightly meatier pickup to replace the stock 'Strat' one, and so I wondered if anyone here may know of anything that would suit my needs.

Ideally, I would like some meat, with clarity, and I mainly play post-punk and rock stuff these days. 

I love this cheap bass's simplicity, short scale, and neck. It feels ace, so it might be worth investing a few quid in a decent pickup with more balance across the four strings in output.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
    I used a SC size rail HB pickup in mine, worked a treat
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1101
    edited July 6
    Mine has a Firebird pickup and I like it. I had a Lace Sensor Gold in there once, but wanted something meatier and settled on the Firebird, but there are various flavours of Lace with higher outputs if you can find one.
    Awesome. You both have backed up a few of my ideas. Cheers for the input!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5038
    Just a note: a Squier Bronco is a <£100 instrument, so beware of chucking too much money at it.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3169
    You could try Toltec pickups. They’re available on eBay and are hand wound in the UK. I’ve not tried one myself but they seem to get good reviews and  make Bronco specific models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    Just a note: a Squier Bronco is a <£100 instrument, so beware of chucking too much money at it.
    Just a note: It was found abandoned by a canal, so it is worth at least £100.23...  ;)

Currently, it owes me absolutely nothing (though I have just ordered the super cheap rail pickup to try out)
    edited July 8

You could try Toltec pickups. They’re available on eBay and are hand wound in the UK. I’ve not tried one myself but they seem to get good reviews and  make Bronco specific models.
    I'm too cheap to spend money on a hand wound UK specific Bronco pickup unless someone else has tried one and has told me it is worth its weight in gold (or printer ink) 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5038
    stonevibe said:
    prowla said:
    Just a note: It was found abandoned by a canal, so it is worth at least £100.23...  ;)

Currently, it owes me absolutely nothing (though I have just ordered the super cheap rail pickup to try out)

Noted.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1101
    They're perfectly good basses and the neck is nice if you ask me. If you're a full time bass player then maybe a Bronco wouldn't be your first choice, but for the player who uses a bass every now and then and maybe just wants to use one for recording, they're ideal.
    I own a few bass guitars, this one was just a nice freebie and it is great for working out basslines whilst sat on the sofa. I usually plug it into an Yamaha amp to work out stuff or to record with. It plays a lot better than it ought to considering it is a super cheap bass. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    You do get the odd duff one - the school my kids went to had about five or six of them, and a couple were a bit dead-sounding - but a friend had one which is so good, dead stock, that he sold his Mexican Std P-Bass… which itself was a good one. He’s a guitarist who plays bass occasionally, but it’s perfectly decent for that.

If you find the rails pickup too middy and muddy, try wiring it in parallel not series - that sounds very good for bass usually, clearer and more dynamic than series. To do that, disconnect the red and white wires, and connect one to the green wire (probably the white) and one to the black (probably red) - if you get silence, it’s the other way round :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    You do get the odd duff one - the school my kids went to had about five or six of them, and a couple were a bit dead-sounding - but a friend had one which is so good, dead stock, that he sold his Mexican Std P-Bass… which itself was a good one. He’s a guitarist who plays bass occasionally, but it’s perfectly decent for that.

If you find the rails pickup too middy and muddy, try wiring it in parallel not series - that sounds very good for bass usually, clearer and more dynamic than series. To do that, disconnect the red and white wires, and connect one to the green wire (probably the white) and one to the black (probably red) - if you get silence, it’s the other way round :).
    Useful information. Nice one.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    edited July 7
    stonevibe said:

I'm too cheap to spend money on a hand would UK specific Bronco pickup unless someone else has tried one and has told me it is worth its weight in gold (or printer ink) 
    That's his point, they're UK-handwound but actually very cheap. He doesn't have any up at the moment (at the cheaper prices, I mean), but he often puts ones up for bidding on Ebay starting at around £30-£40, and if you're lucky no-one else bids it up. IIRC his Bronco one is actually a hot one, which would presumably suit what you're after, too. I haven't tried his Bronco pickup, but his guitar and Jazz Bass pickups are great. (I got a set of his Jazz Bass pickups for about £45, for example. Admittedly- I had to buy covers separately.)
    After a jam session this week I reckon a humbucking pickup would be less noisy than the single coil. Once this blade pickup arrives I will test it out and report back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    stonevibe said:
    After a jam session this week I reckon a humbucking pickup would be less noisy than the single coil. Once this blade pickup arrives I will test it out and report back.
    I’ve said this before, but I don’t think any bass should now be made without a hum-cancelling pickup, or at the very worst a RWRP pair like a Jazz - it’s perfectly possible to make even something like a ‘51 Precision pickup hum-cancelling if you really want.

Hum is harder to EQ out of a bass sound than a guitar, because 50/60Hz are fully within the note range of the instrument. ‘Modern’ noise from switch-mode power supplies, lighting etc is no less of a problem for bassists either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    stonevibe said:
    I’ve said this before, but I don’t think any bass should now be made without a hum-cancelling pickup, or at the very worst a RWRP pair like a Jazz - it’s perfectly possible to make even something like a ‘51 Precision pickup hum-cancelling if you really want.

Hum is harder to EQ out of a bass sound than a guitar, because 50/60Hz are fully within the note range of the instrument. ‘Modern’ noise from switch-mode power supplies, lighting etc is no less of a problem for bassists either.
    Yeah, I would agree with this and it is an easy remedy to use a pickup that isn’t as susceptible to extraneous interference these days. 
    It arrived 30 minutes ago. I just fitted it, and already, it sounds meatier and has no annoying hum.

I will whack it through my bass amp at volume later and see how it holds up at gig volumes.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out; all your knowledge was beneficial.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    ^ Nice! =)