Electrifying an acoustic 12 string?

What's Hot
scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
I’ve got a fantastic Yamaha DW4-12 which I’d like to turn electric. I don’t want it to sound acoustic at all but much more like an electric 12 string. Want something cheap and easy to add to the soundhole - any recommendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73540
    edited July 7
    DiMarzio Virtual Acoustic, Dean Markley Pro Mag or Seymour Duncan Woody. I'd go for the humbucking versions, they sound more electric than the singles which have a more natural acoustic tone.

Grant-Lee Phillips used the DiMarzio (I think the Dean Markley originally) in a Takamine 12-string, through a Boss Metal Zone into a Fender Twin.

It’s one of the best guitar sounds ever recorded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    That is good. I’m hoping that it can imitate an electric 12 albeit no one’s going to think it’s a Rik…(it’ll be easier to play, mind).
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 246
    I have a Fishman humbucker for acoustic that might do this for you. I'd be looking at £70.00 ono if you'd like to try it.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Thanks for the offer, Mad Mick. I’ll start having a look around and get back to you if needed. 
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 132
    ICBM said:
    DiMarzio Virtual Acoustic, Dean Markley Pro Mag or Seymour Duncan Woody. I'd go for the humbucking versions, they sound more electric than the singles which have a more natural acoustic tone.

Grant-Lee Phillips used the DiMarzio (I think the Dean Markley originally) in a Takamine 12-string, through a Boss Metal Zone into a Fender Twin.

It’s one of the best guitar sounds ever recorded.

Thanks for this - been listening to them since seeing this. Great stuff.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1394
    Anyone ever used one of these?

Presumably some derivative of the PAF or Super Distortion. 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    edited July 10 tFB Trader
    Anyone ever used one of these?

Presumably some derivative of the PAF or Super Distortion. 

I believe these are just a super low wind humbucker on standard DMZ bobbins.  Their own thing ... not a derivative 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom