QC help - dual clean and high gain amps

Hi, 

Have borrowed a QC with a view to buying one, rehearsal tomorrow, busy getting presets/scenes ready.

For a song where I'm emulating two guitar parts, I'd like to have my clean tone through a tremolo effect, but simultaneously have a drive sound going on.

I usually only take a mono feed to FoH, so I haven't experimented with stereo out and panning left and right.

I'm trying to hear both the clean /tremolo and driven guitars simultaneously.....I might even use an expression pedal to vary the blend of the two.

The preset I've currently created has my drive pedal and amp/cab captures (clean capture, driven capture) on the 1st row, feeding into the third row where I have delay, reverb etc.

Can I have some guidance how I would set up what I'm describing please? For example, if I have my driven amp/cab capture on the first row, would I take an insert before that capture to the second row with tremolo pedal and a clean capture only and have that return to the first row after the driven amp/cab capture?

The key thing is I'm trying to here both the clean and gain sounds separately - funnily enough, I had an old Peavey Classic 20 years ago that had a setting to do this exact thing.....so I know it should be possible to distinctly hear both sounds....

Thanks,
Andy :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• onyironyir Frets: 52
    There's a couple of ways you can do it. One would be to use a splitter, like you mention, to separated the 2 chains (dirty and clean). Another way is to use row for dirty, row 2 for clean by setting both rows to the same input and the same output (row 3, in your case). I haven't done much in terms of expression pedal usage, but you could assign the xp pedal to 2 volume blocks, one on each path
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 62
    Thanks - I'm doing it, but it doesn't sound great....no doubt I'll just have to play with different sounds.

The other thing I've noticed is that when users show sounds that seem great on their YT channels, and then I download the presets they sound boomy and horrible....I don't really get it.....again haven't had much time to play, but I love a pretty clean tone, these sound great in the video, but not for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_mWpjFMH4w&t=1s
  • onyironyir Frets: 52
    Something to bear in mind is that some amps will switch the phase (this is something inherent to the real amp, not the model). There is a phase switch on the split you could try.
    In general I have found it difficult to combine 2 amps in mono, so I normally restrict myself to 1 amp (I use the QC for live playing). I use a combination of models and captures (I find amalgam audio captures to be very good; you can find free demos on the cloud)
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 62
    That seems to have helped......I've yet to figure out all the options.......A/B vs balance,,,,,