1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    I did. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    edited July 14
    Yep, but he didn’t say the real reason why there are two bulges, two tides, every 24 hours. His diagram made it look like the moon was making one and the sun was making the other, which is wrong. 

People think the moon goes round the earth, and the earth goes round the sun, but actually everything is going round everything else. The sun wobbles as planets go round it, and the earth wobbles as the moon goes round it. 

If you think of the moon and the earth as two conkers connected by a string, one bigger than the other, the moon is orbiting the earth, but the earth is also orbiting the moon, it’s just that the centre of orbit is inside the earth’s perimeter. 

So that earth-wobble that’s caused by the moon makes all the water on the far-side of the earth want to fling off more than the weaker gravity that makes it want to attract to the moon, and all the water on the moon-side to be attracted to the moon by gravity, more than the centripetal force. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12150
    He didn't mention total eclipse, when both the Sun and the Moon is on the same side.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    All I know is that when I used to go out to discos and pubs as a younger man there were far more fights at the taxi ranks and much more violent and weirdo behaviour by people when a full moon coincided with a Friday at the end of the month.  That must be something to do with the gravity of the moon pulling at peoples' brains  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    To believe that you’d first need to accept that the earth is round, not flat. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    edited July 14
    It's not round, it is an oblate spheroid  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2534
    And if you get to a more granular level it isn't an oblate sphere, it's all rough and a bit wonky in places.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    edited July 14
    BillDL said:
    All I know is that when I used to go out to discos and pubs as a younger man there were far more fights at the taxi ranks and much more violent and weirdo behaviour by people when a full moon coincided with a Friday at the end of the month.  That must be something to do with the gravity of the moon pulling at peoples' brains 

I commend you on your commitment to your experiment, as that only happened once every 7 months, and you probably wanted 5 or so measurements to make sure, so 3 years
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adey said:
    And if you get to a more granular level it isn't an oblate sphere, it's all rough and a bit wonky in places.
    Which is why the equator is not where Ciudad Mitad Del Mundd is, it is "averaged" out.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    I did. 
    You want a medal?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19798
    Emp_Fab said:
    I did. 
    You want a medal?
    What? You didn't get your's yet?  Bloody Royal Mail is rubbish & getting worse.
    Mine's looking great :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    What I meant was, I always thought it was the moon's gravity that moved the water (or rather that's what I'd always been told).
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5266
    absolute nonsene. The rides are nothing to do with the moon, they are simply the results of mighty Poseidon's wrath. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5880
    Pfft!  What bollocks!  Everyone knows the Earth is flat!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 693
    When I was working at a shipyard in Southampton, I got involved with setting up the slipway for a ship build. The double tide height was typically 4m.
    What astonished me was that at high tide, the additional weight of the water caused the shore to deflect, or sink a few mm. I'd always thought of the ground as being solid.
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2534
    The south of England is generally still sinking. All the ice that was on Scotland during the ice age weighed a lot. Now it has melted away, Scotland is slowly rising up on the liquid magma below, and so south of England is sinking (apparently)

I watched a programme years ago the showed that, in geological scales, the solid rock actually behaves like a fluid.
    edited July 15
    Adey said:
    The south of England is generally still sinking. All the ice that was on Scotland during the ice age weighed a lot. Now it has melted away, Scotland is slowly rising up on the liquid magma below, and so south of England is sinking (apparently)

I watched a programme years ago the showed that, in geological scales, the solid rock actually behaves like a fluid.
    Glass is also a fluid, you can see old stained glass in old churches that the bottom is thicker than the top, and glass is silicon....which is sand....and rock has silicon. 
    edited July 15
    Adey said:

Glass is also a fluid, you can see old stained glass in old churches that the bottom is thicker than the top, and glass is silicon....which is sand....and rock has silicon. 
    Glass is not a fluid, it is an amorphous solid. The old windows thing is a myth.
    I've been lied to !
    edited July 15
    Afraid so Raymond.
    I used to work at the National Glass Centre & heard it debunked many years ago, but the internet doesn't care about truth, just clicks.  Window glass was difficult to produce uniformly & was expensive, so it all got used including the uneven bits  ;)
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22730370-900-what-is-glass/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom