UK Pickup makers - Advice?

What's Hot
Hey folks, 

I'm considering switching pickups in one of my guitars, and I wanted to get something UK and good quality. I'm looking for a Bridge P90, specifically, and Ideally I'd like to stay a bit under £100. This excludes stuff like Creamery and main line Bareknuckle, but leaves in things like Monty, Mojo, Oil City, Alegree, and probably some others. 

I'm sure there's plenty of experience with all these builders here. What's your take? Any favorites? Any one you would or wouldn't recommend? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    I've had several Alegree pickups recently. Old Timers and Sea Smoke P90s. Both great and I would recommend the Old Timers.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3353
    edited July 16
    Creamery take a long time to arrive, and though they were good pickups there are others that can be had more quickly. Mojo are excellent, but demand has meant that they are often only open for a small ordering window each month.

The two that I’ve also had great pickups from but are less often mentioned are Fletcher and Cats Whisker. Both are great quality pickups, firmly in the affordable camp. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8213
    Oil City make excellent P90’s. 
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 338
    Ash at Oil City makes fabulous pickups and is great to deal with too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 993
    Yep, another vote for Ash at Oil City, great pickups and very easy to chat with.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 575
    TheMarlin said:
    Oil City make excellent P90’s. 
    100% what he said . . . !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 149
    Mojo Pickups and Oil City would be where I looked first.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7354
    Nothing Marc at Mojo makes is anything other than wonderful in my experience 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    @OilCityPickups ; Are my first port of call.
  • BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 274
    Mojo Pickups and Oil City would be where I looked first.

100% this, although I think Ash has more options with P90s so Oil City would be my first choice. Definitely get in touch and chat through what you're after.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 22
    RickLucas said:
    I've had several Alegree pickups recently. Old Timers and Sea Smoke P90s. Both great and I would recommend the Old Timers.
    I've just put an Alegree Old Timer single coil in the neck position of my Strat to replace the original (which looks like it's a Highway One).

Absolutely lovely. £20 well spent and a big improvement.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    Humboldt said:
    RickLucas said:
    I've just put an Alegree Old Timer single coil in the neck position of my Strat to replace the original (which looks like it's a Highway One).

Absolutely lovely. £20 well spent and a big improvement.
    Yes, and as a pair they are well balanced. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1303
    tFB Trader
    Does your guitar currently have a bridge p90? Is it made of the 'correct' components? Because if it is then maybe getting it rewound hotter, or with the correct wire, or scatterwound would be what hits the spot.

Catswhisker make great pickups and also do very affordable rewinds. I'll blow their trumpet because they never do!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    Bulldogs are excellent and well under £100. So are Catswhisker. Keep an eye out on Ebay, Catswhisker sells his own pickups there for a bit of a discount, sometimes you get lucky and the pickup/spec you want comes up. Ditto Toltec (but I haven't tried his P90s). Of the ones mentioned in here that I've tried, Alegree, Oil City and Fletcher are great but again I haven't tried their P90s. (I haven't tried Mojo, Monty's or The Creamery.)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4237
    Mojo, Oil City, Radioshop and Sunbear have all been awesome in my guitars