Tone factor XR IRs - anyone use them?

I have a HX stomp and I guess like most I have been down the rabbit hole of IRs (Celestion, York Audio, Tone Junkie ‘Tone Matched IRs). But actually I have never been happier with my sound than since the big cab update when I started using the new HX cabs. 

I came across these XR (extreme realism!?!) IRs from Tone Factor today. Now it has me intrigued as the demos do sound great but I am slightly skeptical about comparison videos when someone is trying to sell you something and I’m trying not to get drawn into the IR rabbit hole again.

Any HX users tried these and can give some real world feedback?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4428
    Never tried them but they sound bloody great in the demo!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3732
    I had a look on their site and there is a free Helix patch, which includes a couple of IRs, simulating an AC30 (which happens to be my go-to amp).

Initially the patch is very impressive in isolation, but way too much candy on there such that it wouldn't be suitable for my needs.  I've just spent 10 minutes or so setting up a patch with just a compressor, AC30, then either a cab model or the Tone Factor IR, and a reverb.  I can toggle between cab and IR with a f/s.

Once I'd got the cab and IR balanced for vol there was really not much in it, especially once I'd tweaked the cab model to match the IR (since there wasn't much that I could tweak on the IR).  Certainly not enough for me to want to pay for some IRs then work through all of my patches.

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 323
    Musicwolf said:
    I had a look on their site and there is a free Helix patch, which includes a couple of IRs, simulating an AC30 (which happens to be my go-to amp).

Initially the patch is very impressive in isolation, but way too much candy on there such that it wouldn't be suitable for my needs.  I've just spent 10 minutes or so setting up a patch with just a compressor, AC30, then either a cab model or the Tone Factor IR, and a reverb.  I can toggle between cab and IR with a f/s.

Once I'd got the cab and IR balanced for vol there was really not much in it, especially once I'd tweaked the cab model to match the IR (since there wasn't much that I could tweak on the IR).  Certainly not enough for me to want to pay for some IRs then work through all of my patches.

I had wondered if this might be the case, guitar gear always plays on that fear of missing out and that the next bit of gear, or in this case IR might be the solution to all tone issues! 

Since I re-did all my presets with the new HX cabs I have been making subtle refinements at rehearsal and currently I have got the best live direct to PA sound I have had since owning the HX stomp. I guess ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’, probably best to just enjoy what I have got and not get drawn back into the rabbit hole!