Fender FR-10 or FR-12?

This is a common question on other forums but I value the opinions on here, so:

FR-10 or FR-12?

I've just bought a Tonex Pedal and need to amplify it for jamming and live use. I play rhythm in a 5 piece grunge/rock/alt band so going to be veering more towards Rectifier tones.
I want to have the option of Metallica/Tool/Mastodon type tones as well.

Will the FR-10 cut it or do I need the FR-12?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    Should this be in the Amps section? 

*Scratches head*
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 623
    I've got the FR-10 and can't imagine needing any more bass. I use it with an HX Stomp or Fractal FM9.
    I used to use a DXR10 and have found a 10 inch FRFR speaker to be my preference when using a modeller. It also has the advantage (to me) of being lighter and more compact. When using regular amps, I've always used 12 inch speakers but don't feel I'm missing out.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    Good to know. So you think there's enough low end thump with the 10? Yeah weight and size are a boost but if the 12 sounds better then it's still light enough compared to my current 2x12 combo!

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 623
    DiscoStu said:
    Good to know. So you think there's enough low end thump with the 10? Yeah weight and size are a boost but if the 12 sounds better then it's still light enough compared to my current 2x12 combo!

To my ears, plenty of bass. I typically need to shave some off. Mind you, the band I'm in doesn't do metal. A bit of classic rock now and again so couldn't comment regarding really heavy tones..
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    I’ve also found myself preferring a 10” driver in an FRFR setup. I too have a Yamaha DXR10 MkII and I preferred it to the DZR12 (which is also the series above the DXR line.) 

Whilst I have that, I’ve found my best sounds come from a valve power amp into a guitar cab, though. 

It kinda removes the IR headache, too. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2758
    I'm looking for one and would prefer the fr-10 but would be happy with an fr-12.   I suspect it might come down to which one you see first as there aren't many available at the moment.