PRS Blade Switch Tip Compatability

What's Hot
skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 215
Was thinking of being silly and sticking a PRS blade switch tip on my Tele partscaster. Other devious thoughts are percolating... however! I understand that Paul and Co like to do odd things and change the depths of their PRS switches and the Core switch tip is not compatible with CRL/Fender standard switches. Question is if the SE Blade switch tip is? Anyone tried putting a PRS tip on a non-PRS guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    You rascally monkey.  Does a switch tip affect tone perchance?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 215
    Offset said:
    You rascally monkey.  Does a switch tip affect tone perchance?
    Yes, because of the shape, it will add additional friction to the air around the guitar, thickening up the tone significantly. It will make an alder body sound like mahogany. Genius.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24813
    edited July 19
    I can confirm that the PRS USA switch tip doesn't fit a Fender/CRL/Oak Grigsby switch, but I don't know about the SE ones.

I suppose in theory you could replace the whole switch with a PRS one, but the USA switches are pricey.
    I've ordered an SE switch tip so we shall see...
    US switches are absurdly expensive. No amount of aesthetic gratification would push me to spending $60 for a damned switch. 
    skinfreak said:
    US switches are absurdly expensive. No amount of aesthetic gratification would push me to spending $60 for a damned switch. 
    <Cough:3
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15092
    Comparing tips, eh? It might be time to invest in a McLaren/Westwood cowboys t-shirt. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think I've taken this thread to strange places! I'll report back my findings when I'm back in the UK in a week on the SE tip. While I was ordering I thought I'd stock up on PRS knobs too. Knobs and tips ahoy!
  • PALPAL Frets: 577
    I had a PRS S2 Mira and the switch failed and I replaced it with a CRL switch and had no problem with fitting the PRS switch tip. Hope this helps
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13469
    Comparing tips, eh? It might be time to invest in a McLaren/Westwood cowboys t-shirt. 
    A mate of mine had one of those.  I'd forgotten it until you (ahem) brought it up.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492
    If it helps I got a really fancy metal switch tip from Rutters on a whim when I was buying other stuff. It’s gone on my copper build which feels good. Was too heavy for the Tele I original thought about it for - felt wrong 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
    Offset said:
    A mate of mine had one of those.  I'd forgotten it until you (ahem) brought it up.
    Call them, catch up, bring up in conversation that you always loved & admired that T shirt.
    Do they still have it & might they part with it for old times sake (while playing Hearts and Flowers by Tobani on violin at the time if possible)?
    https://www.bonhams.com/auction/28242/lot/132/vivienne-westwood-and-malcolm-mclaren-an-original-and-rare-pink-two-cowboys-t-shirt-1975/
    Offset said:
    Call them, catch up, bring up in conversation that you always loved & admired that T shirt.
    Do they still have it & might they part with it for old times sake (while playing Hearts and Flowers by Tobani on violin at the time if possible)?
    https://www.bonhams.com/auction/28242/lot/132/vivienne-westwood-and-malcolm-mclaren-an-original-and-rare-pink-two-cowboys-t-shirt-1975/
    Ooh, the neckline looks unsavoury.  I bet the underarms are pretty rank after 40 years.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20307
    ^ Not to mention the potential for having been gobbed on, or conceivably worse...
    Right. I got a SE switch and tip sent via PRS and its was a standard switch shape - not the silly one i wanted. So I then ordered specifically one of those silly switch tips. I compared them and the metric SE tip will only fit an metric switch. I have a dimarzio switch and the tip does not work - although standard metric tips do work ok on a SE switch itself. 

The PRS SE switch seems pretty good quality to be fair but is not made in USA as advertised on the PRS website.