Friedman Little Sister or Mini Dirty Shirley

FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 54
Has anyone here owned either of these amps or played them at any length? If so, would you mind sharing your thoughts and opinions on it/them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    edited July 19
    If you can get either, the Little Sister would be the obvious choice of the two as it is basically the same amp with a bright switch allowing a bit more tonal variety. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2563
    I've got a Dirty Shirley Mini.

It's a great sounding amp, Marshall tones but smoother/darker, and as such pairs very well with single coils/firebird pickups etc. 

Effects loop works well, gain switch makes a big difference. 

I'm very happy with it, though I wish the gain structure switch was footswitch-able.

The little sister is basically the same amp but with a bright switch.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    A friend of mine has both the mini Dirty Shirley and the mini Pink Taco. Both are small 1x10 combos and I have found them to be great for small gigs with their small footprint, light weight and great sound. The Pink Taco has more mids, is perhaps a little nasal in comparison, but it cuts through well. I preferred the Dirty Shirley. There are a few videos and comparisons on YouTube etc. This one I think captures it best, although the language is German. But you get the drift:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpZlJWlBWg  
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 54
    Thanks, everyone. That's super helpful. If you know anyone who might be selling a DSM or LS head, please let me know!
  • HydraHydra Frets: 22
    edited July 23
    I've had a MDS, PT20 and Runt 20.
    Hydra said:
    I've had a MDS, PT20 and Runt 20.
    And what did you think of them?
  • HydraHydra Frets: 22
    Didn't like the PT20 at all, just a bad kind of grit whatever I did, like sandpaper, couldn't return it fast enough.   MDS was nice, if lacking that Marshall kerrang, no real clean headroom either, but it was a solid performer.  Into a greenback.   A shed load of bass in it too.  Runt 20 quite different, good at Van Halen gain levels but anything less than 75% on the gain sounded pretty brittle.  The clean was quite nice though. 

MDS was mu favourite for versatility. Took pedals well. Good FX loop.   I still ran it with a weber attenuator though for house levels as the master does need to be up a bit.  It does house levels without but more is more.
    Thanks. That’s super helpful. I had a JJ Jr (obviously similar to the Runt 20) and I’d describe it in similar terms. It did 90s rock/metal well but sounded bland with the gain down. And the clean channel was very good. I returned it because it felt like far too much money for what it was at the time.

I have a feeling that the MDS (or DSM) will be a little dark for some applications and that the bright switch on the LS would be a simple but welcome addition. But it cannot be a difficult mod, surely?