SPARK 2 Imminent arrival July 23rd

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4562
Live premier event July 23 featuring Nuno Bettencourt 
  It looks like they’ve finally got a built in looper , I thought I saw a removable battery too
  middle picture looks like a removable battery 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5705
    Yeah, I've been following their updates on the socials.
    Spark 2 is 50 watts with new speakers, new 'HD' amp models, looper, optional battery, and better strap. 
    Existing Spark 40 owners will get a special upgrade price but you need to register your Spark 40 on their site.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 707
    I think the ergonomics of these desktop amps is poor. If you're sat at a desk, with a guitar, you can't see the controls.
    Other makes are just as bad.
    Lazy design conventions?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 348
    Great little amps, I just got sick of fiddling about with it in the end. Bought a basic Blackstar with reasonable cleans and that will do me for my practice amp. Can’t see me being tempted again. 
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 596

• inewhaminewham Frets: 175
    Listening to the side by side comparison at 12 mins its good to see they've addressed the boomy, bass heavy woolly sound on cleans. 
    Sadly now my old one is probably pretty much worthless except for whatever the upgrade deal turns out to be. Oh well first world problems and all that :)

Ian
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4562
    inewham said:
    Listening to the side by side comparison at 12 mins its good to see they've addressed the boomy, bass heavy woolly sound on cleans. 
    Sadly now my old one is probably pretty much worthless except for whatever the upgrade deal turns out to be. Oh well first world problems and all that :)
    Hardly worthless ,still an excellent unit  for its purpose & some people use them portable too with some sort of power bank 
    edited July 24
    Early bird price £249, regular price £289.
    They haven't announced the 'upgrade' price for Spark 40 owners yet but they have said that you get to keep your Spark 40, which should make it a good deal as you can sell the 40 on...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I like my Spark 40, although I think most of the phone software is useless apart from the actual patch editor (the auto-jam and chord guessing features are just gimmicks IMO and don't really work well enough to be any real use).

I would quite like a looper (as long as it works stand-alone without the app - I haven't read all the specs) but not sure it's worth buying a whole new amp for.  OK, there's the "upgrade discount" (which presumably isn't much otherwise they'd tell us) and I could sell the 40, but even being optimistic I reckon it'll cost me at least £100 just to get a looper.  Might as well buy a pedal...
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 283
    @Rabs guitarguitar has a 2nd had ulooper for the spark for £50 at the moment 
    Has anyone seen a price for an upgrade yet?
    I registered mine but I have not received an email and if I click 'upgrade' on the website it doesn't list my device which is registered.

Ian
    edited August 1
    inewham said:
    Has anyone seen a price for an upgrade yet?
    I registered mine but I have not received an email and if I click 'upgrade' on the website it doesn't list my device which is registered.
    Sorry I’ve not heard anything 
    all I can find is this , I don’t know if you sign in it wil help 
    best regards Paul 

https://uk.positivegrid.com/pages/product-upgrade
    As far as I can make out ,if you sign into your account and go to the Spark 2 page you should see the offers . Hope it works for you 
    Thanks for the link
    In the meantime an upgrade offer has appeared (I emailed support). Its £225 for an upgrade compared to £239 for a 'first drop' pre-order.
    £150 was rumoured so I might have considered it at that but I've never liked the original so I don't think I'll bother.

If anyone else is considering upgrading, £150 buys @grungebob s Kustom Coupé 36 now they are a lovely amp. Just saying...

Ian
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2248
    inewham said:

If anyone else is considering upgrading, £150 buys @grungebob s Kustom Coupé 36 now they are a lovely amp. Just saying...

+1 for the Kustom 36. Spark is my most used amp as its home use, but i have the '36 Coupe in the cupboard for studio time. £150 is a steal.
    inewham said:
    Thanks for the link
    In the meantime an upgrade offer has appeared (I emailed support). Its £225 for an upgrade compared to £239 for a 'first drop' pre-order.
    £150 was rumoured so I might have considered it at that but I've never liked the original so I don't think I'll bother.

£14 doesn’t seem very enticing to update 
    It gets stranger, before they offered me the upgrade there were 3 pre-order prices ranging from 239 to 259 depending on how soon you get the amp. First drop / priority access / last call.
    Now I have the upgrade offer 225, all three say the regular price is 279 ! Claiming they're offering 50 off.
    This is disingenuous to say the least! 

Ian
    inewham said:
    It gets stranger, before they offered me the upgrade there were 3 pre-order prices ranging from 239 to 259 depending on how soon you get the amp. First drop / priority access / last call.
    Now I have the upgrade offer 225, all three say the regular price is 279 ! Claiming they're offering 50 off.
    This is disingenuous to say the least! 

I hope they e got the logistics sorted out finally to fulfill the orders this time at least 
    a lot of people were kept waiting with the first launch , I think things have improved though since they found their feet and have since launched various incarnations of the original .

• robertyroberty Frets: 10927
    I was close to trading my spark 40 down to a spark mini today but I see the spark 2 is only just available for £225 and now I'm confused

I think the portability would win for me overall. I find stereo weird to play through but the FRFR speakers on the 2 are probably quite nice

If the 2 has spring reverb that would swing it for me. Such a huge gap
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom