SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB: Fluke Multimeter

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
Looking to buy a decent Fluke Multimeter to aid me in building some DIY electronics, small stuff like single ended guitar amps, microphone preamps and other audio gear.

Budget is around £100
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    What functions do you need? I've got a 20 year old one in a drawer somewhere. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9837
    A few years ago Fluke brought out a range that was only intended for sale in China, but of course they quickly found their way here via ebay. I bought a 15B+ for about £70 (UK seller) and it’s a decent meter imho (I worked in electronics years ago and used much more expensive Flukes). Looks like they’re now just over £100.
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    Sporky said:
    What functions do you need? I've got a 20 year old one in a drawer somewhere. 
    I just need it to read component values, diodes/transistors/capacitors/resistors etc...so ohms mainly but also might give building an amp a go at some point in the future. So ohms and voltage reading I think
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Volts, mVolts, Amps and Ohm's are essential. Diode mode showing the voltage drop is also essential. 

In terms of reading capacitor values and inductance a meter is of limited use. Ordinary caps will generally fail short circuit or to the point you can measure them as resistors. Especially Tantalum caps.  Electrolytic caps need an ESR meter really to get a meaningful display of their health. Especially in SMPS and class D applications
    You can use diode mode to a point to test some transistors but MOSFETS can catch a lot of people out when testing with a meter because the gate & drain junction has such a high impedance the small voltage from the meter is enough to forward bias it and it will stay forward biased for a while when lifted out of circuit leading many to think the junction is shorted and the device is blown. 

I have a cheap meter that has transistor mode and cap mode etc but I only ever use the temp mode on it really. For everything else I use a basic 25 year old Fluke 77 because it  has life saving auto ranging and high speed reading.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom