New Nacho Day

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28492
    That's really special looking. 

There's almost nobody doing it at this level and they really do make FCS look a little daft. Nacho, along with Danocaster and MB are the only other ones on this sort of level. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 42
    This looks very very nice.

How long is the waiting list and did you just go for the standard spec offered or did you ask for anything specific to be changed?

I have looked at these for a few years now and may need to get an order in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10003
    slawler said:
    This looks very very nice.

How long is the waiting list and did you just go for the standard spec offered or did you ask for anything specific to be changed?

I have looked at these for a few years now and may need to get an order in!
    There isn't a specific waiting list. 
    You have to join the club and then request a build slot. He only releases guitars twice a year and will have a very limited number from the newsletter which again is every six months. The last batch, 6 guitars were available and sold within hours. 

There are very few options you can change. From memory you choose the style (this is early blackguard), ageing level (mine is medium), neck profile (this is soft round v) and pickups. You're effectively buying a replica, which is why options are limited - they're designed to be as true as possible to those originals, which now cost £60,000-£100,000. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 512
    @chris78 What pickups does he use? Are they custom wound for him?
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 183
    Congrats @chris78 I'm usually not fussed by NGD posts, but I've been keeping an eye out for this one. It does look amazing! Sounds like it worked out roughly about £1,400 for customs. Top money but I'm sure it's worth it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2134
    What radius did you go for?
    Schnozz said:
    What radius did you go for?
    I don’t remember that being an option, but it’s 9.5.
    Most of the early ones are 9.5 according to Nacho’s book but like so much early on at Fender, the specs are all over the place as they were learning about how to build them.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5201
    Looks amazing Chris, great score. Look forward to having a play on it sometime, maybe….  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2502
    mo6020 said:
    He previously used Ron Ellis but they had a parting of ways over something I can't post here. Not sure who winds for him now. 
    Julian Lage still has Ellis pickups fitted to his Nacho's but only once they land in the U.S. 
    Strat54 said:
    mo6020 said:
    He previously used Ron Ellis but they had a parting of ways over something I can't post here. Not sure who winds for him now. 
    Julian Lage still has Ellis pickups fitted to his Nacho's but only once they land in the U.S. 
    On his site there is very little info, other than they don’t sell them separately. 
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 605
    When I had one (2019 I think) I asked about them and he said they were made by 'his guys at the shop'.

Guitar looks great Chris!
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 83
    That looks incredible Chris. You get some great gear mate..... congrats. Hope you enjoy it  :)
    Strat54 said:
    mo6020 said:
    I had heard he used Ellis’. I have some to go into a partscaster build I’m working on atm, and honestly it’s the only thing stopping me trying to source a Nacho lol

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 281
    That is stunning! 

Have you got a picture of the back of the neck to compare with the customshop?
    That is stunning! 

Have you got a picture of the back of the neck to compare with the customshop?
    Sorry for the wait on this.
    I’ve taken 3 pics here - 

The first is a comparison with the broadcaster
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mjuyb30wtq5tss1a9zj1l/IMG_2458.jpeg?rlkey=jeutywg5pqo11wg0ves9wem79&st=wd7d6kqi&raw=1

Then a comparison with my Todd Krause masterbuilt 
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s1o1dwaaerf05rhkd97u3/IMG_2460.jpeg?rlkey=60qxd8k4e6eyrs42gcdoge1sp&st=xb1jzx50&raw=1

Finally, the nacho, the Krause and a Vincent Van Trigt masterbuilt Strat 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/njhb040dedlcnqqswf60m/IMG_2459.jpeg?rlkey=zablr8uskjs9vqnlk5mtapay4&st=mvrmaili&raw=1

Night and day isn’t it?
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7541
    That is all kinds of cool, and the neck wear is on another level. And what you'd expect for this kind of guitar, if it was old. Hngd! 
    Considerably better relic work, and the difference in neck is huge. 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2502
    If anyone wants one there are six new ones to choose from at Guitar Point in Germany.....

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2823
    That is such a cool guitar Chris.  I love the weight of it too, everything seems done with a lot of care and attention.

A point I would make about comparison with CS/MB reissues is that there are all kinds of versions of the originals to study and replicate (albeit there are probably only a limited number of those very early ‘50’s ones).  So you’ll get some that have just sat in a case since new under the bed and they will still look virtually new now, and then you’ll get the ones beaten to buggery and left out in the rain….and anything in between.  So I think the CS ones will probably look like a version of some old guitar somewhere.  Having said that, I’m not sure about the way they do the back of the necks but maybe there are some old originals that look like that?
    thebreeze said:
    That is such a cool guitar Chris.  I love the weight of it too, everything seems done with a lot of care and attention.

A point I would make about comparison with CS/MB reissues is that there are all kinds of versions of the originals to study and replicate (albeit there are probably only a limited number of those very early ‘50’s ones).  So you’ll get some that have just sat in a case since new under the bed and they will still look virtually new now, and then you’ll get the ones beaten to buggery and left out in the rain….and anything in between.  So I think the CS ones will probably look like a version of some old guitar somewhere.  Having said that, I’m not sure about the way they do the back of the necks but maybe there are some old originals that look like that?
    I think to be fair to the custom shop, their aim now isn’t historic accuracy but modern, ultra playable versions of old guitars.
    We as consumers have told the custom shop we like the feel or bare wood on our necks so it’s not sticky when we sweat and they, therefore, sand the finish off.
    Personally, I still like to feel a bit of finish underhand, but you can’t be the feeling of a warn neck. I’d certainly rather a fully sanded neck to full gloss though.