Running your Amps off-grid

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
The desire to secrete myself away in a remote spot and immerse myself in my music away from the daily nonsense is overwhelming right now. However to achieve this means compromise like being off-grid for all your services, so what systems would be viable to be able to run your amps your usual ancillaries and of course your domestics?
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8169
    Some young transient people on less than minimum wage working shifts and furiously pedalling cycling machines fitted with powerful dynamos?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7367
    BillDL said:
    Some young transient people on less than minimum wage working shifts and furiously pedalling cycling machines fitted with powerful dynamos?
    Treadmills could actually be reinstated as they were in Pentonville Prison in 1800's

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11309
    edited July 25 tFB Trader

Steam powered off grid generator ... perfek! Runs on anything that burns ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 66
    According to a cursory Google search;

The amount of electricity you can generate using a pedal-powered generator depends on a number of biological factors, like your age and fitness level, as well as the efficiency of the generator you are using. An average person capable of producing a sustained power output of 100 W can expect to generate from 31 to 74 W, depending on the efficiency of the generator system.”  

So you should be fine with an AC30, or a Deluxe Reverb. Provided you can pedal and noodle at the same time. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1658
    MaxA867 said:

“ The amount of electricity you can generate using a pedal-powered generator depends on a number of biological factors, like your age and fitness level, as well as the efficiency of the generator you are using. An average person capable of producing a sustained power output of 100 W can expect to generate from 31 to 74 W, depending on the efficiency of the generator system.”  

So you should be fine with an AC30, or a Deluxe Reverb. Provided you can pedal and noodle at the same time. 
    Dunno, I reckon you’d struggle there. In the AC30 the EL84’s will be pulling about 20W just for the heaters. Another half a dozen watts for the ECC83’s.  It’s going to be less than 50% efficient so over 60W to make 30W out and it’ll be doing a good chunk of that all that time as the valves will be biased at a fairly high percentage of max dissipation.  Give Mark Cavendish a call, see if he’ll come and peddle while you play!
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 478
    Portable nuclear isotope generator.

Or a THRII plus one of those solar panel car chargers to keep it topped up. Lithium motorcycle battery for your pedals. Easy.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3172
    You might need one of these....

Alien Explorations Alien The Space Jockeys seat references the

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    So you want to secrete yourself away in a remote spot & make amplified guitar noise?
    Hmmmm... OK.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27293
    Best option is to buy gear that's suited to the task. A 1W amp will be way more than enough for home volumes - that can run off a solar + battery + inverter system without any trouble.

Pedals can be run from a USB C power bank into a Harley Benton isolated PSU (for example - mine takes 12V, which a USB C PD power bank can put out). Get a solar one, and it's free.

And, if you use something like a ToneX ONE on your board, it can also run into headphones.
    <space for hire>
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 310
    edited July 25
    Petrol generator and a very long cable so your amp doesn't get drowned out by the racket it makes.  That's the standard at Afrika Burn, which is in the middle of a desert. Not the greenest or most portable of solutions, but it works. 

The generator can provide lights, device charging and ice makers.  However, boiling a kettle requires about two kilowatts, so you will need gas for cooking unless your generator is truck-sized.

If you are very off grid, wood for a campfire, barbecues and water heating (unless you like cold showers). 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32236
    Buy an acoustic guitar. 

You can burn it to generate power :D
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 66
    MaxA867 said:

“ The amount of electricity you can generate using a pedal-powered generator depends on a number of biological factors, like your age and fitness level, as well as the efficiency of the generator you are using. An average person capable of producing a sustained power output of 100 W can expect to generate from 31 to 74 W, depending on the efficiency of the generator system.”  

Dunno, I reckon you’d struggle there. In the AC30 the EL84’s will be pulling about 20W just for the heaters. Another half a dozen watts for the ECC83’s.  It’s going to be less than 50% efficient so over 60W to make 30W out and it’ll be doing a good chunk of that all that time as the valves will be biased at a fairly high percentage of max dissipation.  Give Mark Cavendish a call, see if he’ll come and peddle while you play!
    Ah fair enough, perhaps downgrade to a Princeton or an AC15. 

To be fair I would 100% watch that as an olympic cycling discipline  - what’s the beefiest amp you can power with a pedal generator and for how long? The heavyweight category being a 200 watt Marshall Major. 
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 307
    Perhaps something like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panana-Electronic-Generator-Adventure-Emergency/dp/B0C1SQNR1L/ref=sr_1_3?sr=8-3

Could add a solar panel for recharging, if you needed longer duration.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    just run an extension lead from the neighbours
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1658
    MaxA867 said:
    MaxA867 said:

To be fair I would 100% watch that as an olympic cycling discipline  - what’s the beefiest amp you can power with a pedal generator and for how long? The heavyweight category being a 200 watt Marshall Major. 
    There’s a video somewhere, YouTube, of one of the world class cycle sprinters powering a toaster! He was flat out for long enough to toast a slice of bread.  I think they push upto a kilowatt in those final sprint finishes.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Have a look at solar power battery banks, Jackery is one the brands I know. Not necessarily a cheap option but once you've invested a few hundred quid you could power an amp for a while off the power of the sun. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    MaxA867 said:
    MaxA867 said:

Or upgrade to a Lance Armstrong for enhanced performance.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 64
    I can run my amp off a second hand uninterruptable power supply for computers and data centers etc for maybe forty minutes?