Wiring Schematic for Fretking JV corona strat

Can anyone help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    Q: Does the humbucker automatically coil split when combined with the middle pickup?

If so, the five-way selector switch must be a 4-pole, 24-contact type. 

The website product description explains how the tone pots are assigned to the five switch positions. (That account for the third pole.)

The remaining questions concern the resistance values of each pot, whether there is a treble bypass on the volume pot and whether the P90 stack splits when combined with the centre pickup.

If you own a Fretking JV Corona, why not simply photograph the wiring, upload the pics, sit back and wait for ICBM to explain the circuit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • corona55corona55 Frets: 10
    Thanks Funkfingers, I just acquired this guitar last week and for me the control knobs move too easy so I decided to replace the pots ( Alpha A500k).  I ordered 3 CTS 250k pots thinking they'd be standard and when I removed the pickguard the original pots are Alpha 500k. Why have they used 500k? There's caps on both tone pots and a treble bypass on the vol pot. I do have pics but don't know how to upload them on here. The wiring is different to a regular strat as I'm familiar with that circuit. I've ordered 3 Alpha 500k pots so when they arrive I'll replace the originals. Don't think the pickguard has been removed or messed on with but..you never know. The dummy coil is screwed onto the guitars body not the pickguard.. However a schematic would be nice just to confirm what's going on.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    Does it have 3 single coils? Maybe they used 500k if the dummy coil makes the sound a little darker and they thought it sounded better with 500k? Both will work, it just depends on which you prefer.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14921
    Dave_Mc said:
    Does it have 3 single coils?
    Good question. 

My search engine found a Corona Custom model with a HB/SC/P90 pickup combination. That would explain 500k pots but negate any need for a dummy coil. (The P90 has stacked coils. Thus, only selector switch position 3 lacks hum-cancellation.)

If the OP's guitar has three single coils, most of what I posted yesterday can safely be ignored.

corona55 said:
    I've ordered 3 Alpha 500k pots so, when they arrive, I'll replace the originals.
    Surely, unless the stock pots were special low friction versions, the new ones will be just as easy to accidentally turn via flailing strumming.

corona55 said:
    a schematic would be nice just to confirm what's going on.
    The two basic format options are: 
    1) dummy coil > selected pickup(s) > controls > output jack.
    2) selected pickup(s) > dummy coil > controls > output jack.

If the individual pickups are grounded to the volume pot chassis, Fretking has taken option 2.

The final question concerns whether the dummy coil is wired in series or in parallel with the signal from the selector switch. (This is where photographs would have helped.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • corona55corona55 Frets: 10
    Thanks for your advice guys and yes the guitar does have three single coils..I'm veering towards installing the cts pots although they're 250k, worst case scenario is to tape up the dummy coil wires and move to standard strat wiring.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    edited July 26
    Dave_Mc said:
    Does it have 3 single coils?
    Good question. 

My search engine found a Corona Custom model with a HB/SC/P90 pickup combination. That would explain 500k pots but negate any need for a dummy coil. (The P90 has stacked coils. Thus, only selector switch position 3 lacks hum-cancellation.)

If the OP's guitar has three single coils, most of what I posted yesterday can safely be ignored.
    ps are grounded to the volume pot chassis, Fretking has taken option 2.

The final question concerns whether the dummy coil is wired in series or in parallel with the signal from the selector switch. (This is where photographs would have helped.)
    I thought the "JV" might stand for "John Verity", a signature model, which I thought might be an Strat-style SSS model.
    corona55 said:
    Thanks for your advice guys and yes the guitar does have three single coils..I'm veering towards installing the cts pots although they're 250k, worst case scenario is to tape up the dummy coil wires and move to standard strat wiring.

Yeah I guess that would work. You can also use 470k resistors to convert 500k pots to 250k, that might be handier than swapping the entire pots and would let you hear the difference in tone (although it's fairly subtle, and would be easier to hear them if you had the resistors on a switch).