Shipping Guitar Recommendations

What's Hot
Dan_CDan_C Frets: 14
Hi all - Looking for recommendations for companies to ship a guitar with, and of course any services to avoid if possible! 

Thanks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2485
    edited July 26
    Overland Express - they offer a choice of couriers but add their own insurance specifically for guitars as most couriers don't cover them when you look at their small print. They have a discount code for TFB members as well, in a thread somewhere on here...

Edit: found it!

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/269590/new-48hr-guitar-delivery-service#latest
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 980
    Another recommendation for Overland Express. Easy to use and very helpful. 
  • Can’t recommend Overland Express highly enough!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1130
    Dont know Overland Express but if everyone else is recommending it then I don't want to feel left out! Overland Express 100%!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 569
    When shipping be sure you pack your guitar well and make sure you insure the guitar for loss or damage for the full amount
      I recently used Parcelforce and it was very straight forward and reasonable with great a great tracking system.
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 68
    Parcelforce. 24 hr delivered before noon helps mitigate the anxiety 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    Overland Express.

Their instructions for guitar shipping are here
    https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/guitar-courier

Note that they use the same couriers as you could use via one of the brokers *but* (most importantly) they offer proper insurance cover - that's their USP.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 248
    Another recommendation for Overland Express. I've used them multiple times. They are an intermediary through which you can book with select couriers (I always use Parcelforce). The prices are good and so is the insurance.

They have instructions of how best to pack a guitar on the website. Always be sure to read the insurance terms and conditions as it's worth 10 minutes of your time. Don't rely purely on what you are told on a forum!
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 726
    Lenspeed
  • RichardrichardRichardrichard Frets: 353
    I’ve used overland express a bunch of times, but the insurance cost went way up (though I think it came down again at some point), so I’ve also shipped plenty with parcelforce using secursus insurance separately - never had an issue.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
    birtner said:
    Parcelforce. 24 hr delivered before noon helps mitigate the anxiety 
    I recently bought a MIJ Les Paul copy, on eBay, seller used Parcelforce, guitar arrived damaged in the mail, the set neck was loose in its socket, returned the guitar to the seller, who claimed from PF….PF rejected the claim, guitar was in a case in a cardboard box with extra packing and strings detuned, seller had paid extra for the guitar value
    PF refused the claim even though you could see where the box had taken a hit….
    PF used to be my carrier of choice, but I will try Overland Express in the future
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 248
    I’ve used overland express a bunch of times, but the insurance cost went way up (though I think it came down again at some point), so I’ve also shipped plenty with parcelforce using secursus insurance separately - never had an issue.

Secursus insurance is useless if you're selling a guitar via eBay, Reverb or Facebook marketplace though. I wouldn't trust that it would cover a guitar sold via the classifieds either as that could fall into the definition of online marketplace.

Perhaps you were you sending the guitar to a friend or your business is selling guitars in which case, it would be a good option.

Exclusions:

ITEMS SHIPPED THAT ARE SOLD/PURCHASED ON AN ONLINE MARKETPLACE BY INDIVIDUALS. ONLY OFFICIAL BUSINESSES WILL BE COVERED UNLESS APPROVED IN WRITING.