Buying an old Macbook

What's Hot
LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 167
edited July 26 in Studio & Recording
It seems strange asking this on a guitar forum but I gather there are some knowledgeable techy people here…

I’m in need of a new laptop - as ever, rather skint. My 2012 i7 2.3Ghz 16G RAM 500GB SSD has died…it has too many problems to list…it’s basically like Sir Gawain in the Holy Grail getting all his limbs chopped off and still fighting.

so I’ve been looking at some second hand MacBooks on FB marketplace. I’m hoping to get something that will keep me going for 3 years. 

obvs there are plenty of M1s for £300 and less that are clearly stolen as the seller only started their FB account in 2024 and doesn’t have a profile pic! So I’m thinking an older one…

can anybody here recommend a minimum spec that will trump my old 2012 machine and be able to run Logic sessions and potentially Davinci Resolve (although I don’t do as much of that these days). What year should I look for/avoid? Also, what are those weird thunderbolt ports - are they useless?

One thing is I’d prefer a 15” screen as that’s what I’m used to. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    It was discussed here before, general view was that the A1398 Retina was a good bet   https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3713733/#Comment_3713733
    Having said that, I'm still using my much repaired & upgraded mid 2012 i7 2.3Ghz 16GB too.
    Technical obsolescence is one thing, real world usability & longevity is another  ;)
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 167
    Wow - same machine. What a beast it was. Do you find the battery doesn’t last, as in, it drains when I’m sleep mode or shut. 

The last straw for mine was closing the screen on a usb drive, after already removing the smashed glass layer! It really has been abused
    My battery has been reporting the 'Battery service' alert for a couple of years, but as I have it connected to the mains when in use, it's not a problem. No battery swelling as yet, so I'm not in a hurry to replace it as there are lots of dodgy poor quality batteries about & 'good' brand ones aren't cheap.
    I had installed two SSD's, but currently just use one as a boot drive, after I had to disassemble the Mac after yet another liquid spill...  :-\"
    They really are as hard as nails & I'll miss it when it goes, as I love being able to fix & swap things instead of everything being soldered & glued  X(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In 2024 is there really no recent macbook model worth buying? The A1398 retina is pretty ancient no? 

What about those i9 machines? I think they come up for £500 on FB…presuming that’s legit, would it be a much better machine?
    Think I might go for a 13” M1 air…there’s one on FB for £385. Looks legit and should keep me going for three years
    Calling @Danny1969 ; for another widely experienced view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom