Compressor for home?

What's Hot
GazAusGazAus Frets: 8
in FX
Hey guys,

Does anyone use a Compressor at home to help push their amp and drive pedals, to get bolder bigger sound?

I tend to have to gain stack up to 3 pedals due to amp being at low volume, so thinking this might be an avenue to explore...?

Gaz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3778
    What amp?  Master volume?  What EQ options does it have?

A graphic EQ pedal to boost bass and fatten it all might be better if it’s sounding thin and weedy.
  • GazAusGazAus Frets: 8
    The amp is an Orange AD15, with a good Master and 3-band EQ.

As I play mostly at low home volumes these days, I don't quite get the Power section going, so thought some lite compression might help give it some more body and presence at low volumes...?
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 372
    I used a JHS Whitey Tightey for a bit and was happy with it. It could add a bit of level as well as having a blend knob for the compression. Not the hugest amount of compression tweakability but it worked well. Not super expensive as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 314
    Boss CP1-X will smooth and fatten without making it sound obviously squashed.

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 930
    I use a Keeley Compressor + as an always on pedal to boost and add sustain. The blend control is useful too.
  • GazAusGazAus Frets: 8
    I use a Keeley Compressor + as an always on pedal to boost and add sustain. The blend control is useful too.

That's the pedal that peaked my interest, I think the blend control would be particularly helpful. Will try check one out! 
  • FezFez Frets: 569
    Marshall Ed the Compressor. Excellent compressor cheap and fine for home use but useless on a dark stage.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12767
    GazAus said:

That's the pedal that peaked my interest, I think the blend control would be particularly helpful. Will try check one out! 
    I have a wampler ego which also has blend function and makes it much more useable than previous compressors I had. 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2279
    I use the Origin Cali76 Compact Deluxe.
    It's always on no matter what amp at home.

They're great, and also have the blend control. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 329
    I tried a few compressors with the same goal as the OP. I found I was setting them so subtly that I couldn't justify the cost or board space of a Cali76 or whatnot, and went back to the Yellow Comp which is small and relatively cheap. No blend but sounds good and has a useful tone control too.

I've used it with various combinations of boosts and low gain overdrives (EP style boost, Barbershop and Page) for grit, compression, and fattening up the tone. Works nicely.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 154
    tFB Trader
    I have a Keeley GC-2 which is almost always on. Relatively rare to come across but its superb, really gives that DBX feel.

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 184
    Exotic EP booster may be worth a look too?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25278
    Fez said:
    Marshall Ed the Compressor. Excellent compressor cheap and fine for home use but useless on a dark stage.
    IMHO this is the best of the cheap compressors. Have to spend a lot more for noticeable improvements.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 782
    I used an attenuator with a Princeton to push the amp harder. Sounded way better than using a pedal.