Midi Guitar 2

What's Hot
Not sure what section to put this in realy....

I've started playing about with this software on my ipad and loving it except for the latency. 

Just wondering what anyone elses experiences are. 

My iPad is quite old (version 6) and I'm using a behringer audio interface if that makes any difference. 

I'm using MG2 into garage band and ideally I'd love to be able to use it live to do a few synth pad type of sounds here and there but it's
just not doable with the latency I'm getting. 

What is your experience? Would a newer ipad be better? 

Have you compared it to the windows version, wondering if it's any better on my laptop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34260
    I use the Mac version and it is brilliant with almost zero latency.
  • Version 3 is in beta:

https://www.jamorigin.com/beta/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 657
    What is the interface? In my limited experience it's the interface that introduces the latency
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28271
    Version 3 is in beta:

https://www.jamorigin.com/beta/
    I've been using that for a few months now, on my MBP.

Absolutely brilliant.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 1088
    normula1 said:
    What is the interface? In my limited experience it's the interface that introduces the latency
    I'm using a cheepie Beringer one. 

My son has got a focus write Scarlett so I'll give that a go.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34260
    I'm using an Avid MTRX II, so latency is under 2ms.
    I've just read that latency is always going to be worse on iPad  - something to do with buffer size which is limited by IOS so developers don't have any control over it.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    relic245 said:
    I've just read that latency is always going to be worse on iPad  - something to do with buffer size which is limited by IOS so developers don't have any control over it.
    Not sure that it's entirely true. Cubasis, for one, allows some choice on buffer size. But I don't think you get the full range of choices that you often see for interfaces on MacOS/Windows. The definitive discussions on this are at: https://forum.audiob.us/

I never tried a MIDI guitar app, but never thought iPad music-making was stymied.

goldtop said:
    relic245 said:
    Not sure that it's entirely true. Cubasis, for one, allows some choice on buffer size. But I don't think you get the full range of choices that you often see for interfaces on MacOS/Windows. The definitive discussions on this are at: https://forum.audiob.us/

I never tried a MIDI guitar app, but never thought iPad music-making was stymied.

I don't understand what goes on under the hood but this is what Jamorigin (the developer of midi guitar 2) say:

Tracking is very fast and more responsive and sensitive than most (hardware-) solutions which means it picks up articulations very well. However, its slightly slower than the desktop/plugin version of MIDI Guitar 2 due to a fixed buffer size of 6 milliseconds and eventually iOS’s audio processing may be slightly slower than a carefully configured audio desktop/laptop.