Problem with MXR Carbon Copy mini

smigeonsmigeon Frets: 315
edited August 29 in FX
I have MXR Carbon Copy mini on my board. At rehearsal this afternoon, it became faulty: on every repeat it made an audible ticking noise, or (if turned up more) a loud banging noise. It's powered by a Cioks PSU on an isolated line, so it shouldn’t be a power problem (I hope!).

A quick google doesn’t reveal other cases of this happing out there in the world. But I was wondering if anyone here had experienced this, or knew what might be the cause and a possible fix? It’s only a few months old...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I recently had a similar problem on my newly acquired carbon copy mini. Mine is on an isolated supply and the ticking noise was present unless bypassed. I was planning on raising the issue with Andertons the next day but when I switched it back on the noise has gone and hasn't reoccured.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 315
    edited September 2
    Thanks. I’ll try mine again with a different power supply - although it’s been fine with the Cioks for months. I got mine from Thomann and apparently they’ll “repair” it under the 3 year guarantee scheme that they run. And they provide a pre-paid label to return it with. Sounds like a good scheme on the face of it - as long it works out in practice. Hope yours stays fixed!
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1417
    I bought a new one through Reverb from Coda music with the same problem about six months ago, must be a common fault.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • The noise has returned! Sometimes its there on power up, sometimes it starts after the pedal has been on for some hours. Its a motorboat noise which is affected by the rotating the delay knob.
  • Have you added any new pedals? I had a Germanium range master style pedal
    that was silent but induced noise on other pedals down chain, initially thought it was a trem making a ticking but after experimenting it turned out that the trem was silent if the Ge was off board.
    I tried my faulty one in isolation and it was still faulty (motorboating). 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7349
    I’ve heard of this issue a few times with these. So could well be a common issue. 
  • The Carbon Copy is being used on its own, powered from a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and a plugin battery. The noise is sometimes there on power up, or if not, starts after the unit has been left on (2 - 3 hours yesterday). Power cycling doesn't clear it unless it's unpowered for some hours.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 279
    This might sound like a daft question, but do you have a powerline ethernet connection? I do, and a couple of pedals I have pick up an odd ticking and crackling unless it's turned off. It took me about a year to find the cause.
    Habanero said:
    This might sound like a daft question, but do you have a powerline ethernet connection? I do, and a couple of pedals I have pick up an odd ticking and crackling unless it's turned off. It took me about a year to find the cause.
    Not in my case. Also, the ticking/motorboating is synched with the delay setting on the pedal. It surely seems unlikely that interference from an external ethernet signal would cause that.
  • I don't have powerline ethernet either.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 279
    Oh well, never mind then
  • It's being picked up and going back to Andertons today!
    Mine’s on its way back to Thomann - for “repair” rather than return, as I’ve had it too long (while it was working) to just send back. Will be interesting see how “repair” works out!
  • Yes, mine is going back for "repair" too!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I suspect these pedals have a fault that's causing a reverse bias of an electrolytic capacitor .... generally when this happens the cap will heal it's self to a point if left to drain down and then biased the right way. But a recurring fault of this kind will kill the cap or leave it with such a high ESR it won't be able to do the job it's there for anyway. 

I see these kind of faults all the time on laptop motherboards. Modern SMD caps aren't exactly robust. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Sounds to me like the clock isn’t being filtered out of the signal path correctly.