SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1931 Martin C-2 archtop (SOLD)

jhumberjhumber Frets: 251
edited September 5 in Acoustics £

Here’s a real piece of history, and one that’s still perfectly functional and plays / sounds great. 

This is a 1931 Martin C-2 archtop, with the following specs:
- 000-sized Brazilian Rosewood back and sides
- Carved spruce top
- Ebony fingerboard
- Vertical CF Martin logo (the first model to ever feature this)

You don’t see many of these still existing in original form, as most have been converted to flat-tops and sold for significantly higher-prices. The reason for this is that if you remove the top, you’re essentially left with the neck/back/sides from a 1931 000-28, which is golden-era Martin with eye-watering prices. As a result I’ve seen more of these for sale that have been converted to flat-top (here’s an example: https://reverb.com/uk/item/66648583-martin-om-42-1931-c-2-conversion, listed at £22k…)

Some history on this model and particular example, thanks to Martin’s meticulous record keeping:
- The C-2 was in the range of Martin’s first ever archtops (along with the mahogany C-1), launched mid-1931.
- There were 269 round-hole C-2’s made between 1931 and 1933, when they switched to F-holes
- Martin serial numbers ran from #45317 to #49589 in 1931, and there were 104 C-2’s sold that year.
- Assuming consistent output throughout the year, the serial number of this specific guitar dates it to around September 1931. So if they started making them mid-year and made 104 by end of year, it’s reasonable to conclude this is within the first 50 C-2’s ever made (and somewhere in the first ~100 archtops ever made by Martin)
- I know the ownership of this guitar back to the early 80s, and am the second owner since then. I’ve used it in the studio plenty over the last 8 years, but never gigged it (no pickup has ever been fitted)

- To the best of my knowledge, it’s all original with the exception of the D-string tuner, which is a slightly later Kluson - from the 40’s, if my research is accurate
- It still has the original bar frets, which are in good shape. I had a fret-dress done by Dave King a few years ago, and it hasn’t been played enough since to impact the frets since then.
- As you’d expect from a 93-year old guitar, there’s plenty of wear visible throughout and a small area on the upper-side bout that looks like a finish repair at some point (and which shows up under black-light as newer finish).
- At some point there was a strap button fitted to the heel-block, but that’s long since gone.
- It comes with the original case, pick guard and pick guard screws

Looking for £4,200 after any fees - now sold

Collection / meet-up only. I’m based in Hampshire but am happy to travel a reasonable distance as required.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments