Interesting things to do with Butternut Squash?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    Blended Soup 
    Roast
    These
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    I too can't abide the texture of squash (i grow plenty on t'allotment), but find that roasted and blended with the usual (stock, other veg) makes for an excellent soup. Especially with plenty of smoky heat from e.g. chipotles, paprika.
    Otherwise, for me they make excellent compost and trading items for other home grown stuff.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    edited September 20
    If doing a soup, add a lot of Sriracha as well as a drizzle of it on top.   Works great with roasted squash and makes a great winter warmer
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    edited September 20
    You can use butternut pumpkin for practically everything. (Yes, yes, for some strange reason people in the UK call it "squash" but it is actually a variety of the exact same species that even the linguistically challenged Americans call "pumpkin". Actual "squash" squishes like a watermelon and tastes like nothing in particular unless you serve it with salt and butter, in which case it tastes like salty butter. Pumpkin - butternut or any other variety - tastes like pumpkin.)

* Steam it the same way you would a potato or any root vegetable.
    * Stuff it with anything you like - hopefully that will include tomato and garlic.
    * Mash it (exactly like potato or sweet potato) and serve it as-is, or with your choice of extras, such as spring onion.
    * Half-mash it alongside other root vegetables  (pumpkin isn't a root vegetable but it works like one), especially potato, mix with an egg, some chopped onion, parsley, and anything else you fancy, form into balls. Squash them flat and fry until crisp. Yum!
    * Put it in stews.
    * Use it as the basis for any Moroccan recipe you are fond of. Pumpkin goes brilliantly with coriander, cumin, tumeric, cinnamon, and some nice hot of chilli. 
    * Serve cubed, steamed pumpkin underneath any tasty sauce you fancy. Think of it as an all-purpose substitute for rice or pasta. A Bolognaise sauce, for example, works very nicely over pumpkin cubes. 
    * Make pumpkin soup, which is delicious. (Bit of a waste of a perfectly good pumpkin, I always reckon, but still a nice soup.)
    * Ask Chef Tannin for the recipe of his delicious Sri Lankan chicken and pumpkin curry. 

Like any pumpkin, store it in a warm dry place. No - not a cold place! A warm place. Not hot, just barely warm. Almost all vegetables last longest when stores somewhere cold, but not pumpkin. It likes to be warm and dry. Example: I picked the last of our autumn crop in April. It is now September - not far off six months and we just ate the second-last one. Delicious! The last one should keep happily for another month or two. Some other varieties (e.g., Ironbark and Queensland Blue) last almost twice as long if stored correctly. Rule-of-thumb, thick-skinned round pumpkins last longer than thin-skinned, long and skinny shaped ones, but it does vary with the variety. Butternuts are middling so long as shelf life goes. Oh, and always leave the stem intact - say about 40mm or so. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 576
    Drop it from a great height onto your nearest politicians head. It's the veggie alternative to grand pianos.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    I have long tried with various squashes, pumpkins or whatever they are but tend not to like the texture or the after taste very much. But they grow fairly easily and provide a lot of relatively healthy bulk to meals. Chilli spices tend to bring out the sweetness and disguise the after taste so curries, spicy soups. I have tried them in risotto many times and it just seems to be a way to ruin a risotto. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9105
    Construct a primitive shrine, and worship them as vegan phallic totems.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Train one to fetch your slippers. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8475
    edited September 20
    Roast thick slices (like potato wedgesh. Coat in a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and chilli flakes. Roast at 180 for 40 mins turning halfway through 
    They caramelise on the outside, taste delicious. 

We also use a potato peeler to cut long thin strips, and make a quick low carb pasta alternative. 
    Just flat fry for a minute or two, add your favourite homemade pasta sauce.  Quick low carb dinner.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 745
    Well. this escalated quickly.

Food for thought.

I have some ideas for the next round. Thank you everyone.
  • Bake it, blend with cocoa and rum, and put in the fridge with some vanilla skyr on the top.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Chop into chunks, roast with chorizo and red onion... then wrap in a flour tortilla and eat.

Add them.into a lamb curry... dhansak is great with them

Slice in half, scoop out the seeds and bake them with the cavity filled (as you would a stuffed pepper) and sprinkle with cheese.

A good one is a lovely veg!