Tony Soper RIP

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 13897
What an absolutely lovely chap.  I have a lifelong interest in wildlife - and, dare I say it, not inconsiderable knowledge - which was sparked by people like Tony.

He was a good looking bugger as well.

BBC Natural History Unit co-founder Tony Soper dies aged 95 - BBC News
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    I didn't know he was still around. Yeah remember him from my childhood when I was really into birds. This was one of the first bird books I ever got:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20527
    Responsible for the formation of the now legendary BBC Natural History Unit.
    David Attenborough & the massive Planet Earth series is standing on the shoulders of the giant that was Tony Soper.
    Not to forget 'Animal Magic' :-D
    RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13897
    ^^ Ahhhh... Dotty the ring-tailed lemur...
  • Offset said:
    What an absolutely lovely chap.  I have a lifelong interest in wildlife - and, dare I say it, not inconsiderable knowledge - which was sparked by people like Tony.

He was a good looking bugger as well.

BBC Natural History Unit co-founder Tony Soper dies aged 95 - BBC News

I loved birdwatching when I was much younger (YOC and RSPB) and still do. Sigh. What a bloody good guy Soper was. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He was on kids television a lot when I was a kid in the 70s . A sad loss RIP
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    If I remember rightly I think I got his autograph once too. Very vague memory, just came to me. I think he was giving a lecture somewhere when I was very young. It's long gone now though.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25023
    Crikey, 95!  I'd have assumed he died years ago.

I remember my dad mentioning something about him when he was on TV back in the olden days.  Just looking on Wikipedia he was from Plymouth so perhaps my dad knew him as a local boy who'd done well for himself.  They wouldn't have been contemporaries though, my dad was younger and went to a different school.