'Not gelling'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    Best way I've found to gel with a guitar, is put your others away and discipline yourself to play that instrument alone. Okay make sure the setup is good first, but push through the frustration. 

This is very good advice. Since July of last year I’ve played a Les Paul almost exclusively. Having tried (and failed) many times in the past, I’m now really comfortable with the design. So much so, that my Strat now feels ‘wrong’…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    I’ve sold a few guitars (that on paper should absolutely work for me) due to ‘not gelling’ with the instrument. I’ve recently - before this thread - been thinking that the real issue was not giving those guitars a fair crack before moving them on.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
    bobacco said:
    ‘Seller’s Remorse’ is more an issue for me than ‘Buyer’s Remorse’.
    I think the point in this post may have slipped under the radar.

Soon after a purchase we can be vulnerable to buyer’s remorse, where we start to dwell on the ‘opportunity cost’ of our new toy, i.e. the thing(s) we could have got with our money instead. There’s a fork in the road here between committing to the new thing on the one hand and seeking to undo the deal on the other. If we haven’t sorted this out in our head then we may fail to bond with the instrument when we might otherwise have done so.

Of course there are purchases that genuinely don’t work out too.

#quitepossiblyoverthinkingthis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 574
    Best way I've found to gel with a guitar, is put your others away and discipline yourself to play that instrument alone. Okay make sure the setup is good first, but push through the frustration. 
    Aside from work related playing I haven't touched a guitar since my double bass came into the house. And to say I didn't gel instantly with a great big, intimidating, musical wardrobe would be a huge understatement. But for all my sore fingers, frustrations with strings (ever contemplated paying  £200-£500 for a set?) I am really getting to love the 'Blonde Bombshell' 

Wanted to wiz, but ‘musical wardrobe’ made me chuckle. 

• Best way I've found to gel with a guitar, is put your others away and discipline yourself to play that instrument alone. Okay make sure the setup is good first, but push through the frustration. 
    Aside from work related playing I haven't touched a guitar since my double bass came into the house. And to say I didn't gel instantly with a great big, intimidating, musical wardrobe would be a huge understatement. But for all my sore fingers, frustrations with strings (ever contemplated paying  £200-£500 for a set?) I am really getting to love the 'Blonde Bombshell' 

The Vagina Monologues are part of your library too? You have all basses covered!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I think sometimes wanting can come into it. I remember hankering after the daphne blue strat with the rosewood neck. 
    Next year I'll have had it ten years, I have bonded with that guitar, that undoubtedly is my strat
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom