Annoying high-pitched whine (no, it's not the singer)

What's Hot
Probably our best gig yet last Saturday (we had drunk people dancing and everything!), but I was plagued by this noise from my rig - see clip.
  • Not affected by using a cable instead of wireless.
  • Not affected by bypassing board and going straight into amp.
  • Gets louder/quieter depending on how I was standing.
  • Reduced by turning guitar volume down.
  • Cavities have shielding paint, pickup wires are braided, wiring through channels is 4-core and shield.
  • Also tried bandmate's Les Paul with humbuckers and still noisy.
Where's it coming from?

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    An induction loop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    An induction loop.
    As in, those things for hard-of-hearing people?  I guess the only option is to ask the venue to switch it off, if we play there again?

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• SporkySporky Frets: 30129
    I concur, and yes. I don't think it could reasonably be argued that the induction loop is required for equality of access while the band is playing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you, gents.

Jonathangus said:

As in, those things for hard-of-hearing people?  I guess the only option is to ask the venue to switch it off, if we play there again?
    Yes, or use a guitar without magnetic pickups - a Line 6 Variax should actually work perfectly.

:)

(That's genuinely a serious suggestion!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2464
    ICBM said:
    Jonathangus said:

Yes, or use a guitar without magnetic pickups - a Line 6 Variax should actually work perfectly.

:)

(That's genuinely a serious suggestion!)
    But the toanz, who will look after the toanz?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Al_NicoAl_Nico Frets: 37
    Sounds like the PA ringing at about 2.5khz. If you have a eq on the desk try reducing around this frequency.

When the PA is doing this you can affect the feedback by moving about and making sounds and feels like the problem is with whoever is making sounds around that frequency.
  • It was coming from the amp.

Al_Nico said:
    Sounds like the PA ringing at about 2.5khz. If you have a eq on the desk try reducing around this frequency.

When the PA is doing this you can affect the feedback by moving about and making sounds and feels like the problem is with whoever is making sounds around that frequency.
    It’s not a PA issue - it’s definitely being picked up by the guitar pickups, because changing the orientation of the guitar affected it.