Going just over a PSU's current supply

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1735
I have a POG2 and current draw is 160mA according to EHX. My PSU has one port free but only rated 150mA. Will I risk permanent damage to either pedal or PSU by going over by just 10mA?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30212
    Probably not, but is it worth the risk with a (quick Google suggests) £300 pedal? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Have you any way of measuring the actual current draw? I assume probably not or you wouldn’t be asking… but often the rated draw is a bit higher than the true figure, exactly so you don’t try to run it with an under-spec power supply.

If any damage occurs it will be to the supply. If anything running it at *just* over the rating is more likely to cause trouble in the long term - a higher overload will trigger the over-current or thermal protection and shut the regulator down, but if it’s not quite enough to do that, running it hot may shorten its life.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom