any PIC programmers in the house?

PIC16F877 to be precise. MPLABX IDE with MPASM assembler. serial i/o funnies.

before you C++ or Java people start, no I can't rewrite the application in a "modern" language, and it wouldn't do any good if I could.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    dont you mean "PIC software engineers"

;)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • yes I suppose so. The "programmer" is a USB device called a PicKit3 and it controls the PIC as told to by the IDE

btw this particular "funny" has been resolved, although I'm not sure why the "solution" works. You received a message (RS485 bus) and are replying to it. Replying to it immediately causes the outgoing message to be garbled (although the TX buffer, and the trace buffer that I put in in an attempt to diagnose this) contain exactly what I'd expect. but if you set up a timer, and delay the TX by 2 clock ticks (ie you don't turn on TX interrupts until the timer has gone off), then everything works fine. maybe the RS485 h/w needs more time to react to being told "You're not receiving now, you're transmitting". Only happens with some messages, I guess its the ones that don't take long to process.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 364
    A bit. 16F87, though... a while ago... with MPASM. I did discover an un-documented 'feature' regarding offset addresses if that is in any way relevant.
  • @Misterg so you've seen these odd little device too, eh? weird aren't they!
    I liked them! Quite an elegant instruction set. Used the 16F87 for a few projects.

What ails you?
  • They certainly have their uses. It's the segmented address space I dislike, but then I always have disliked segmented address space ever since the PDP-8, but especially on 8086s - yuk!

As per earlier post, I think I've got round the problem I was having, which appears to be a timing issue.

The present job is an "i/o board" which reads 8 digital inputs and writes 8 digital outputs according to messages sent on an RS485 bus. What did you do with your PICs?

What did you do with your PICs?
    Interpreting data from a line-scan camera for industrial measurement (parallel in/out + synchronising & timing);
    Running a fatigue test rig (with 3 digit display & presettable counter, all from the PIC);
    Various other hobby stuff including a 3 axis camera mount with R/C servos...

Brought up on 6502s  :)