HG Wells' "The Time Machine"

What's Hot
On TV now... the best version by a mile and one of my fave ever films!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks - I'd have missed that.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The 1960 one?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Yeah the original one (is there's an older one?). 
    Absolutely amazing film. 
    Is there an older one?

With time travel one can never be too sure.

(No)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The one with Samantha Mumba (?) in isn't actually terrible, although its not great. The 1960 one is pretty awesome though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    fantastic film, the time travel sequences are the best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Considering when it was written, possibly the greatest science fiction story ever. The film is not at all bad either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1421
    Are any kids these days fortunate enough to study Wells' novels?
    The War of The Worlds is just utterly brilliant. The Island of Dr Moreau; fantastic.

Not read The Time Machine, and I really should, I do like the 1960 film.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I loved the film, and the book. And yes, War of the Worlds is also a cracking read. We should start a classic novel thread, I'd like to see what's out there that I haven't read yet.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I missed it and I've never seen it. 

They showed the 50's version of TWOTW the other week and that was good. 

I think Wells either liked or had it in for my neck of the woods and I can't decide which. 

I say that because in the Time Machine the inventor lives in Richmond. 

And in TWOTW the narrator makes his way from mid Surrey to central London effectively following the main road, which takes him through Richmond, Kew, Mortlake (where I used to live) and thence to London. 

He never set a book in Barnes though. Nothing ever happens in that dump. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Yep the 1960 Rod Taylor one is my fave, although the 2002 remake wasn't too bad.

Mixed feelings re the 50's TWOTW having been transposed to the US, decent enough yarn I guess.

The US/Canadian TWOTW TV series started out passable but "jumped the shark" very soon after, nuff said about the wired follow up series.

We need a classic Sci Fi movie and TV season from the Beeb taking in Quatermass, A for Andromeda (old one and new works for me) and all those lovely old programs of my youth.

Loved the books too mind.

The Beeb is doing a Sci Fi season of sorts starting tonight with the first of a 4 part X 1hr Sci Fi documentary series with Dominic Sandibrook, BBC2 about 10.45 after QI if anyone is curious.

sinbaadi said:
    Are any kids these days fortunate enough to study Wells' novels?
    Yes.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I did see a thing about a BBC play of the TM being broadcast live in 1949, but there's no recording of it, obviously.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16282
    I thought it was BRILLIANT...... I watched it next month
    tae be or not tae be
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    there's a great film based on the island of doctor moreau, the island of lost souls 1932
  • chillidoggy;421633" said:
    I loved the film, and the book. And yes, War of the Worlds is also a cracking read. We should start a classic novel thread, I'd like to see what's out there that I haven't read yet.
    Jack London's "The Sea Wolf" is a cracking yarn. The film of it isn't too bad albeit a little on the low budget side.
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    I'll check it out. 

I really enjoyed Erksine Childers "Riddle of the Sands" for a classic novel, and I recently read "The Cruel Sea" again, a good read IMHO.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    edited November 2014
    The original film is awesome. I saw it as a child and it totally captivated me. The morlocks were genuinely scary to me, but the bit that really fascinated me was the stop motion time travel section. It sparked a life long love of time travel films. Beautifully scripted.