and so the battle begins ......

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
Cold weather setting in again, and the annual battle for the thermostat has begun. I like it left on 72˚ as we PAY for heating, however Mrs A is always complaining that she is cold and whacks it up to anything up to 78˚!!!! Me and all 4 kids don't like the house that hot. My oldest son comes home and opens a big window in the lounge. I get so annoyed that I turn it right down to 60˚ when I notice that it is way up, and then the house gets cold, but I see it as a way of clawing back some of the cost.

Most stuff in our house unfortunately is me and the kids on one side of the fence and Mrs A on the other .....
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Set it where you are all comfy and if she's too cold tell her to put a jumper on lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    Recalibrate the thermostat so that 78 is actually 72.  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • it is a cold one at the mo, I asked the kids this morning if they want there sleeping bags getting out as I will be in the cubby getting mine today. 2 said yes 1 said no.

my old man was always one for having the heating up to full on, same with the car we used to bake
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Not a problem for me at home, but jeez some of the women in the office are going to war. Bless them and their menopausal lack of temperature regulation
    All practice and no theory
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    78! You must be boiling!

Ours is on 21 and that is more than warm enough.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I don't get the battle for the thermostat...My girlfriend likes it on hot, so much so I generally sit in t-shirt and shorts. How much does it being a couple degrees higher actually cost over a winter £20-£50? I can live with that to be honest, I'd hate to think of someone being cold because I'm saving a few quid.

What gets me is the people in the office-they want it 18'c in the summer and 28'c in winter-why not just have it at a steady temp the whole year round-it doesn't matter how warm/cold it is outside as we're not popping in and out regularly.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    lloyd said:
    I don't get the battle for the thermostat...My girlfriend likes it on hot, so much so I generally sit in t-shirt and shorts. How much does it being a couple degrees higher actually cost over a winter £20-£50? I can live with that to be honest, I'd hate to think of someone being cold because I'm saving a few quid.

What gets me is the people in the office-they want it 18'c in the summer and 28'c in winter-why not just have it at a steady temp the whole year round-it doesn't matter how warm/cold it is outside as we're not popping in and out regularly.
    The cost will depend on your house, given what my gas bills are like I'd guess it's more heading to the hundreds. Plus I like wearing a jumper.
    Am sitting in office in shorts and t-shirt currently, ours do pretty much the same.
    TinLip said:
    78! You must be boiling!

Ours is on 21 and that is more than warm enough.
    Ah, I wanted to do that one.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Layers are the answer. Seriously - Listen to your Mother. She is probably the wisest person you will ever meet.

I have just been in the garden for half an hour. I am wearing 3 t shirts and 2 sweatshirts.

Layers.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Office people are freaks

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Any more than 18/19 and I start to feel a bit sick
    Old Is Gold
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited November 2014
    Tell MrsA to stop walking round in a bikini, and put some clothes on.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3167
    i wouldnt turn mine on if it wasn't for the amount of condensation build up on my windows. always kept at 20 if it is on.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    I think wimminz has different body thermostats fitted to blokes tbh. Mrs B is happy with the house stat set at 20 but spends most of the night either stealing all the duvet and burying herself in it like a hamster or flinging it off, leaving me sweating like a pig under a double layer. She also has baths the temperature of molten lava and is forever moving the shower stat up so I feel like my skin is being flayed off when I get in.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Ours is usually set around 19/20. The best way to not be cold in winter is to actually do stuff, though lady Cirrus gerts round that by having a blanket next to the sofa for when she's watching tv etc - which is great because it means she doesn't need the heating on all day!

I can't imagine 78 degrees - which is more than 25 Celsius - being anything other than horrible and stuffy. Even 72 is still higher than I'd enjoy.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    My best advice for any situation like this, kick em in the neck, show them who is boss.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Ours is set to come on when the inside temp drops below 18. Thus far, it has been working fine, the house is Solid Walled so it takes time to get it back up to tolerable levels if we don't keep it ticking over at 18. The joys of older houses!!
  • who was it who last year said he's put a dummy thermostat on the wall in the hallway and sited the real one under the stairs where only he knows where it is? brilliant idea :D
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    who was it who last year said he's put a dummy thermostat on the wall in the hallway and sited the real one under the stairs where only he knows where it is? brilliant idea :D
    Placebo thermostat.  Great idea. I reckon it would work on a lot of women too eh.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My thermostat never goes above 16.

If there's more of you too hot than her, and it will save money, she should stop being so selfish.

I hate having the house too warm. I need a cool room to sleep.
    My V key is broken