Toy Product Marketing Fail

What's Hot
Was just working at my desk whilst our youngest and his friends are involved in serious Play-Doh construction and watching Fireman Sam on the Cartoonito channel.  Anyway amongst the 4000 toy ads that they manage to squeeze in between each program (all that illicit the same "DAD!!!!! I want that!" response) some short-sighted marketing goon has put together a product called Beados.  That may have seemed a good idea at the time but firstly I misheard it and was like WTF? and now I have two young boys chanting the BEADOS song and we are about to set off to pick up their siblings from school along a busy road chanting 'BEADOS!' .
My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    I feel your pain with the  "can i have that? , and that?  and that?" . I say "yes son, your getting 10 of them !"
    He says "Yisss!" as he clenches his fist. By the time hes opened his fist its  "can i have that as well?"  "yes son put it on your list!" "Yisss" clenches fist ..... "Dad i love you and you make better porridge than mum but we wont tell her will we?" Hes 4.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine are 5 & 3 and the advert led toy lust is unreal.  

We went around to the local cafe the other morning and they have a TV with either the news or ITV on.  As it was just our kids the woman in there who spoils them rotten put on some kids channel with ads which meant what was supposed to be a relaxing breakfast out of the house turned into a public "I want that!" on repeat.

@JAYJO I don't know if you have more than one and whether it's specifically because ours are both boys close in age but another angle is that they seem to think there is only one of every toy in the world (or at least we would only buy it for one of them) and the 'I want!' is usually swiftly followed by a "I said it first!", "It's only for big boys!" or "You too big for that!", then if left breaks into full on fisticuffs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I'm busy recycling the Mountain Of Last Christmas' unused Must Have toys to wifey's young penniless single mum service users. One of whom got a jolly nice solid wood kiddies kitchen with all the bits this afternoon. Massive tree up already, so now at least summat to put under it.

The ads on kids tv should be outlawed I tell thee! I've been getting beaten down over Christmas by the 3 of 'em for flamin weeks now :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272 said:
    I'm busy recycling the Mountain Of Last Christmas' unused Must Have toys to wifey's young penniless single mum service users. One of whom got a jolly nice solid wood kiddies kitchen with all the bits this afternoon. Massive tree up already, so now at least summat to put under it.

I know all it's all pressure and ultimately wasted money for us but I love stuff like that.  Regardless of whatever family circumstance kids are born into the all deserve something special on one day of the year at least.  Good work you guys.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4713
    i don't have a telly but a friend of mine said to his kid, when we get to the end of the adverts, if you tell me which toys you remember you can have them ... not sure if it'll work or not but may be worth a try.

I did wonder why all those kids were shouting BEADO at me ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    randomhandclaps;424782" said:
    jd0272 said:

I know all it's all pressure and ultimately wasted money for us but I love stuff like that.  Regardless of whatever family circumstance kids are born into the all deserve something special on one day of the year at least.  Good work you guys.

Every year fella. I hate 'skipping' perfectly good gear. Mind you, Spencer weren't v happy about his kitchen going into little Ella's care :)
  • jd0272 said:
    Mind you, Spencer weren't v happy about his kitchen going into little Ella's care :)
    Just tell him - 

To which he'll most likely reply "Dad, do you think Ella might like a Telecaster for Christmas next year?"
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    edited November 2014
    Mine are 5 & 3 and the advert led toy lust is unreal.  

@JAYJO I don't know if you have more than one and whether it's specifically because ours are both boys close in age but another angle is that they seem to think there is only one of every toy in the world (or at least we would only buy it for one of them) and the 'I want!' is usually swiftly followed by a "I said it first!", "It's only for big boys!" or "You too big for that!", then if left breaks into full on fisticuff.

@JAYJO I don't know if you have more than one and whether it's specifically because ours are both boys close in age but another angle is that they seem to think there is only one of every toy in the world (or at least we would only buy it for one of them) and the 'I want!' is usually swiftly followed by a "I said it first!", "It's only for big boys!" or "You too big for that!", then if left breaks into full on fisticuffs.
      Just the one around that age. His older sister is a bit more subtle. ie  "Erm! Me and me mates were thinking of going to a festival! "  Oh thats a good idea you would think, I may be able to drop them off. Until she reveals its in Croatia for 4 days! but not sure if she can afford it because shes got her driving test coming up  AGAIN!!. Seed planted JOB DONE!

jd0272 said:
    Mind you, Spencer weren't v happy about his kitchen going into little Ella's care :)
    Just tell him - 

To which he'll most likely reply "Dad, do you think Ella might like a Telecaster for Christmas next year?"

Nah, he's only 3, he just attacks the Esquire! Angus, at 6, might do, tho I'm busy doing him a not inexpensive partsacaster/La Cabronita ("In black Dad, black...") as he's desperate to learn, so I doubt he would either! Busy doing Spencer a Telemaster in LPB, and I'm going to put together for Sophie, who has no interest at all, a '51 P-bass-acaster, cause I does need to learn bassism.

And until they is big nuff to use 'em properly, THEY'RE MINE!!!!!!!!!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    This is why I'm never going to give my kids anything. The adverts come on and then they're resigned to knowing they can only play with rocks and boxes.
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    This is why I'm never going to give my kids anything. The adverts come on and then they're resigned to knowing they can only play with rocks and boxes.
    That is the funniest, most depressing, and most, sadly for a lot of folks, truthful thing I've read all year. Have a Wis.

However, if you can, when you do have kids, give them stuff. Childhood should be blissful. Even if they are complete shits like our three.