Having my carpel tunnel release operation today

What's Hot
Has anyone else had theirs done?  Any side effects or knock-on effects from having it done?

I'm looking forward to not having the numbness and pain anymore.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    Wife going to have it, she's a pianist, but there's never a good time. I think you just gotta bite the bullet, apparently it's really amazing when it's done! Good luck and let us know
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited September 2013

I had mine done (left/fretting hand) about 8 years ago and all's fine. Quick op and recovery period, and only experienced some short-lived pain afterwards, more a burning/stinging sensation.

All's well now although I do experience some pain when playing anything with a wide neck for more than an hour or so. It's basically anything that opens up my hand more i.e. basses and acoustics. Just come back to things slowly slowly.

All the very best

• bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    edited September 2013
    mrs bert had it done,  and was in a hell of a state afterwards.............they didnt use enough anesthetic either/allow long enough for it to work and she was in agony during the op...........  took weeks for it to settle - and that was private !

The experience was so bad, she wont have the other one done

Good luck tho.  
    :)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good Luck  :)

• Break a leg. :)
  • Bertie, I'm glad I didn't read that until just now after I'm home.  Thankfully my op went fine.

All seems to have gone well, stitches come out in a couple of weeks so should be able to play again soon
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    Excellent!!!!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Good news indeed, all the best with the recovery.
    Let us know how it progresses.

• Will do, cheers
  • Get better soon. :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13587
    the_jaffa said:
    Bertie, I'm glad I didn't read that until just now after I'm home.  Thankfully my op went fine.

All seems to have gone well, stitches come out in a couple of weeks so should be able to play again soon
    LOL - Yeah I realised a while after I wrote it, it probably wasnt the best thing to put........... still, as long as yours is OK.

Mrs bert so it turns out, islike me,  it takes an age for any local anesthetic to work.........Ive always had real problems in the dentist with that.

We were discussing this with a friend who had it done on NHS, and he had a general............
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Bert, if you have that problem tell them and insist on an anesthetic with adrenaline. It closes the capilliaries and stops the drug dispersing.