Which country exports your favourite (or 'best') musicians...

What's Hot
Now then,

As it sit here with the first brew of the day listening to Buddy Whittington - I ponder to myself, which country has the best musicians representing it and how did it come to be?

As my genre is blues and classic rock, I'm into a bit of early Clapton, George Harrison, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Paul Rogers, Jeff Beck, Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, John Mayall... For me, the list goes on and as result, I would have to say the UK and it'd probably be something to do with everybody knowing each other on the London music scene in the 60's and being able to work with each other as a result

I'd be ignorant to not mention other influences such as Jimi Hendrix and SRV - arguably some of the most influential guitarists ever. Then there's Nashville and all the musicians that are associated... I'm not on about the TV show!

Your thoughts please?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would've said the UK a few years ago, but I'm listening to far more US-based music these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddle;40808" said:
    I would've said the UK a few years ago, but I'm listening to far more US-based music these days.

Anybody inparticular?
  • stickyfiddle;40808" said:
    I would've said the UK a few years ago, but I'm listening to far more US-based music these days.

Anybody inparticular?
    Mostly Gaslight Anthem and Springsteen atm, with added Killers, Grace Potter and John Mayer at regular intervals. 

Also Sigur Ros, though they're Icelandic, obviously!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stickyfiddle;40817" said:
    Panama_Jack666 said:

stickyfiddle;40808" said:I would've said the UK a few years ago, but I'm listening to far more US-based music these days.

Anybody inparticular?

Mostly Gaslight Anthem and Springsteen atm, with added Killers, Grace Potter and John Mayer at regular intervals. 

Also Sigur Ros, though they're Icelandic, obviously!

My internet browser keeps adding my comment to your quote, apologies!

I saw Sigur Ros last year, they were pretty good from what I remember!
  • Da States innit...

Afghan Whigs
    Pavement
    Dinosaur Jr
    Love Battery
    10000 Maniacs
    Pixies
    Cold Water Flat
    Tori Amos
    Scrawl
    Dropkick Murphys
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    edited September 2013
    @strumjoughlamps Flogging Molly are far superior to the Dropkick's... #Justsayin'
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    Britain and Ireland mostly, being a folky means I can get my music closer to home.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    Interesting question....

In terms of 'best', for technique, 'in the pocket' grooves and harmonic sophistication, the Americans pretty much have it covered (I'm thinking of the session greats such as Steve Gadd, Nathan East, Greg Philingaines, Lukather and the like).

They also have genuine roots in their 'roots' music (blues, country, Cajun, Zydeco, etc). So Americans tend to excel in these genres.

In terms of 'favourite', I listen mainly to British music and have a particular liking for Scotland - Glasgow in particular - which gave us John Martyn and The Blue Nile.

I suppose it depends what aspects of musicianship you value most highly....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2013
    Some favourite artists, and others on heavy rotation recently...

Devin Townsend
    Faith No More
    Steely Dan
    Alice In Chains
    The Wildhearts
    Dream Theater
    Jellyfish
    Radiohead
    Queen
    Carcass
    Deftones
    Bloodshot Dawn
    Sylosis
    Opeth
    Decapitated

Hmmm... seems I like a lot of music from both sides of the pond. However, for the heavier end of things I tend to like bands from Europe (Carcass, Bloodshot Dawn and Sylosis are British, Opeth are Swedish and Decapitated are Polish). Dunno why that is... not as if the Americas are lacking in decent metal. The less extreme stuff seems to be quite well-catered for by the Americans (apart from Queen, the Wildhearts and Radiohead obviously)... basically, I don't give too much thought to where stuff comes from, it's difficult to find much of a meaningful trend to it.

I like a fair few Japanese rock and metal bands too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I've been thinking about this some more since some of the posts above. It's quite interesting how certain countries breed lots of a certain style of music. I would say that I listen to more American based music now and given the opportunity, I guess I feel disadvantaged by not having as much live music available in the UK that I listen to on a regular basis.

The UK has had some of the best musicians historically. However now, I feel the US has the edge over the UK in regards to artists that regularly gig there. Some of which are English.

If the music was significantly better in another country, would you consider moving there on that basis?

@richardhomer I think you raise an extremely good point about the roots of music. It helps if you live and breathe the genre.

I think 'best' is a bad term because it's completely subjective. However, I am interested in peoples opinion on this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Cool idea for a thread. It's mostly the USA for me: Gaslight Anthem, Nada Surf, Captain Beefheart, Larry And His Flask, The Strokes, Horrible Crowes, Less Than Jake, Latterman, Adam Green - and pretty much all country music...

But Scotland has always been surprisingly amazing when it comes to pumping out great bands. Consider the following:

Frightened Rabbit
    Twin Atlantic
    Biffy Clyro
    Idlewild
    Stapleton
    Sucioperro
    Orko

They might not all be world beaters, but it's a great list for such a small place. Mind you, I've read interviews with most of them and they all seemed to say it was either make music or sit in a park drinking Buckfast when they were kids. Quite the motivator.