Who's on Statins ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
...for cholesterol.

I'm on 40mg Atorvastatin and the leg muscle aches are really pissing me off now.
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I do simvastatin every evening.I don't get muscle aches, but I do get cramp 1st thing in the morning. Is that relevant? 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    Dunno.  I just know muscle aches and cramps are a side effect of statins.  I was on Simvastatin but the doc moved me to Atorvastatin as the muscle aches were much worse on Simva...
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    Been on them since 1987 (I have familial hypercholesterolaemia) and sometimes the muscle aches are bad but other times I have no side effects at all - weird!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad is, no side effects though.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    Doc put me on them, muscle aches aplenty, plus the pre-Diabetes I'd been happily managing for 3yrs without drugs turned immediately into full blown Type2 Diabetes.  Doc's immediate reaction - take me off statins again (for the diabetes meds)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I've never had high cholesterol or high blood pressure but when I had my heart attack like incident ( viral thing, never really sure what it was) I got put on BP meds and statins whilst awaiting further tests. Jesus, the cramps were just awful and I couldn't sleep. Stopped taking the statins, cramps went away. Had my tests and still no high cholesterol.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    Theyre talking about mandatorily putting everybody over 60 on them. Fear driven money spinner if you ask me. Or am I being cynical?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Was put on statins when diagnosed with diabetes. Have been on atorvastatin - some muscle ache, occasional leg cramps - then simvastatin - seemed OK for a while, then really bad muscle ache, and reduced range of limb movement (plus cramps). Now on Rosuvastatin - won't say it's perfect, but thankfully nothing at all terrible re the muscle ache/cramps.
  • Should I report the cramps to my GP, if there's a chance that they are connected with simvastatin?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Should I report the cramps to my GP, if there's a chance that they are connected with simvastatin?
    I would guess there is no harm in having a chat about it - not a doctor, only speculation, but I would think there might be a chance there is some connection.
  • I can't remember the details but there was some risk that cramps from statins could lead to long term muscle damage ( MrsTheWeary, nurse and person with high cholesterol,was highly alarmed at my reaction to them) so
  • ...always tell your gp about the side effects ( and why did only half what I typed get posted?).
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/the-great-cholesterol-con/  ;

if you have the time to read , this guy is trying hard to rail against the dogma .....
  • jonnyburgo;426640" said:
    Theyre talking about mandatorily putting everybody over 60 on them. Fear driven money spinner if you ask me. Or am I being cynical?
    The worst thing that can happen is it works brilliantly well and people start living consistently to well over 100.

I don't think I'm entirely joking, either...
  • Yes been on them for over 10 years mY cholestrol is only 5.1 without them , but as on BP meds as well they put me on 40MG.

I started using Flora proactiv and benecol and got them reduced to 20mg. Even on 20 mg cholestrol is now only 2.8 have asked for meds to be reduced , but they said it was good to be on 2.8... When I started had problems with cramps and went back to doctors and they did nothing about it.

After a few years they told me my potassium levels are too low. So now each a bannana a day and spinach (call me popeye) and the stiff legs and craps are better. A couple of months back I was travelling and did not have my daily bannana for a few days and had terrible cramp in the night....

Hope that might help...
  • I was on Simvastatin for a couple of years until the leg cramps started. Pravastatin had same effect. Now control cholesterol with diet and exercise. Cod liver oil also helps.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    No, but I have arse cream that gives me a headache.
    My V key is broken
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
    holnrew said:
    No, but I have arse cream that gives me a headache.
    Do you think you might be pushing it too far up ?  :-B
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Yeah, I'm likely to be going onto them soon. High BP, massively high cholesterol and I'm borderline diabetic.

I really should sort out my diet.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread