Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can we not add a minimum post count before selling in Classifieds?

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
I know its draconian.

However its turned into a bit of a joke already as most of what I have seen the last few weeks is just people I have never seen before, just putting up adverts and endlessly bumping them.

It kind of kills the spirit of the forum.

Believe me I like a deal as much as the next GAS addict. However they can just put an ad on Gumtree or Guitarmart etc

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    Personally i'd rather not as more things for sale = good in my book.
    I started on MR as classifieds only.

People shouldn't be bumping more frequently than every 48 hours so feel free to flag posts if people are being naughty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    Aye - there aren't enough mods to actively police the classifieds, so if you spot someone breaking the rules just flag the post.

There does need to be a balance, but we don't want to stop the classifieds from bringing people into the site in general.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    Also you need to take into account people may have changed their name when they came over here, speaking for myself, I have loads of +'s from musicradar but under a different name so I'm starting from scratch again here.
  • ftumch said:
    Also you need to take into account people may have changed their name when they came over here, speaking for myself, I have loads of +'s from musicradar but under a different name so I'm starting from scratch again here.

shut it nOOb. No selling for you.

Grrrrrrr

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2013
    I get the name change and the wanting to attract more people parts.

Just see the forum turning into somewhere 'just to sell stuff'.

tFB Trader
    If that pushes traffic and a percentage convert into proper users then that's fine by me.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    stonevibe;41120" said:
    Just see the forum turning into somewhere 'just to sell stuff'.
    What's so bad about that?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    I think it's a fair concern. If the classifieds are so heavily used by traders and people with no interest in the rest of the site then they're of less use to those members who contribute more to the site as a whole.

I would hope that by gently encouraging adherence to the rules we can keep them useful to everyone - I had a look and there are some people who've been bumping every 24 hours. Either they've not read the rules or they've decided they don't apply to them, and in either case they are mistaken. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • It'll end up a dealers paradise and its probably going to attract fraud at some point.

Me being negative I know.

Just wouldn't want to see the place go south. 

The trend of late is join site, put up an advert to sell (price optional) and bump like crazy.

• vizviz Frets: 11023
    Are you implying that they have read the rules? :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Sporky said:
    I think it's a fair concern. If the classifieds are so heavily used by traders and people with no interest in the rest of the site then they're of less use to those members who contribute more to the site as a whole.

I would hope that by gently encouraging adherence to the rules we can keep them useful to everyone - I had a look and there are some people who've been bumping every 24 hours. Either they've not read the rules or they've decided they don't apply to them, and in either case they are mistaken. :)
    Good man.
  • viz said: Are you implying that they have read the rules? :) The first rule of thefretboard is there are no rules....

tFB Trader
    Anyone bumping more than every 24 hours will get their threads sunk and also the classifieds are not for dealers.
    If you spot them please be so kind as to flag them.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

I went to MR due to a recommend of the healthy classifieds (thanks misterg) - stayed and hung around a bit - migrated here - still active where I came from (mod / admin on justinguitar) - like to have several forums on the go ... same username on all of mine

:)

• I started on MR posting a classified and got up to 10,000 posts on there (mostly about why I hate Chris Evans, why I love pickled onions, that kind of thing).

I have a cold and am not really taking all this in properly though so what do I know?
    :((
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've been a member on Bareknuckles for years and still not got enough posts to put stuff in classifieds.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    ftumch said:

shut it nOOb. No selling for you.

Grrrrrrr

:) From the way my ads have been going you may be right. Anyway bugger off.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MQ missed an opportunity to say "Yes we can not add it" :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2084
    I'm with Stoney, but I also understand the need to keep traffic flowing.

Hmmm...
  • Keep things lose, free and non judgemental. Utilmatelty this will bear fruit...