Gotoh trem bridge two point fulcrum

kurremkarmerrukkurremkarmerruk Frets: 18
edited November 2014 in Guitar
Hi. Just got me a new guitar (a Collings 360st) with one of these bridges (a gotoh). I'm used to the trem bridge having six screws. This system pivots on two points and looks like it floats above the guitar body. I notice that when I bend a string the bridge moves a lot. I haven't notice it affecting the notes yet but I guess it must. Is it normal for the bridge to move like this or should I be adjusting something? It has three springs and that's all it came with (new). In all other respects an amazingly well put together guitar. Quite the best build I've ever seen and I've had Gibson, Fender, PRS, Anderson, Huber, Suhr, etc. If I can get the bridge Lollar a bite more trebly too...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

It's normal. Once you get used to it, you'll adapt your playing to hold the bridge steady.

Floyd's do it too.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Many strat players shim the bridge of their strats when restringing and tuning, ie Scott Henderson sets the bridge so he can bend up a minor third on some strings (the tension plays a part in how much strings detune).

With a bridge with too many springs the bridge plate stays flush to the body because there's an excess of force from the springs, on a floating bridge the forces acting on the bridge are in equilibrium, the force needed to detune it is less - so even a vintage bridge can float and will detune when bent.

If the bridge is moving when you bend strings that's a question of adapting style (muting or playing open strings and using that sound) or fitting a tremel-no and clamping it down - I can't wait for tremel-nos to evolve and be controlled electrically from the front of the guitar - so alternating fixed bridge and floating bridge as required... it can also be setup to not go sharp (as if flush with the body).

Check the routing on your guitar to see if one will fit.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?