5mb HDD delivery

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28420
    @Phil_aka_Pip loved that disc.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I only remember when disc drives were the size & shape of washing machines. Wardrobes were before my time. Impressive lump of kit though :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I recently re-read William Gibson's Neuromancer, written in 1984 and set in The Future. It stands the test of time quite well except for the protagonist trying to shift "3MB of hot RAM" on the black market. Doh. :)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I recently re-read William Gibson's Neuromancer, written in 1984 and set in The Future. It stands the test of time quite well except for the protagonist trying to shift "3MB of hot RAM" on the black market. Doh. :)
    one of my fave books
  • one of my fave books

Great book, I am re-reading all William Gibson books since we had some bookshelves put in and I found them all! It's cool reading these kinds of books 30 years into the future and seeing just how visionary or not the authors were. Distinct lack of mobile telephony in the Sprawl trilogy.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    I remember ... Washing machines & cupboard disc units <sniff>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    I only remember when disc drives were the size & shape of washing machines. Wardrobes were before my time. Impressive lump of kit though :)
    If you only remember that, you need to see a Doctor - there's something wrong with your memory (whatever size it is).
  • Rox said:
    I only remember when disc drives were the size & shape of washing machines. Wardrobes were before my time. Impressive lump of kit though :)
    If you only remember that, you need to see a Doctor - there's something wrong with your memory (whatever size it is).
    much of the intervening time is hazy. I spent a lot of time out of my skulls, you know
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Rox said:
    much of the intervening time is hazy. I spent a lot of time out of my skulls, you know
    Sounds improbable.
  • I don't get the point of 5mb hard drives, you cant even get a single tool mp3 on there. Its amazing they were ever invented tbh. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Like the end of Trial of a Time Lord in Doctor Who with the full horror of the megabyte modem... 

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    First "industrial" I saw was a VAX in the late 70's .....  don't think it washed the carpets though ....
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25493
    They had 5MB 'DASD' discs when I was at the DVLA.  Giant washing machines sized things with drive belts like truck fanbelts !

5MB !  I've got 13,000 times as much storage hanging off my keys in my pocket right now. :-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    In 1970 I was a tape-jockey at what was then the East Midlands Gas Board in Leicester.  They had a Univac 1108 in the same configuration as used by NASA for the Apollo moon landings.  We had 2 FASTRAND II drums with (gulp) 99Mb each!

Cutting edge lol!