Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jools tonight

What's Hot

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    John_P said:
    Good performance from John Newman 
    *gasp* we thought he was dreadful!  Sounds like a young white bloke trying to sound like an old black bloke, and missing it.

Our Maud liked the guitar sounds from Lloyd Cole, so I might have to acquire a Jazzmaster, even though I'm not a Fender kinda guy... :-O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    Great to see Lloyd Cole on good form. I enjoyed that.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited October 2013
    I thought John Mayer sounded good tonight.

Nice to hear Graham Parker and the Rumour again after so many years and I noticed one of my old guitar repairers from Chandler Guitars, Brinsley Schwarz, was playing guitar for him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2813
    Anyone id the guitar that Aaron (or was it Bryce) Dessner was playing in the last National tune?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Kebabkid said:
    Nice to hear Graham Parker and the Rumour again after so many years and I noticed one of my old guitar repairers from Chandler Guitars, Brinsley Schwarz, was playing guitar for him.
    One of my all time fave bands
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Kebabkid said:
    One of my all time fave bands
    Indeed @Jalapeno they still sound good!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ewal said:
    Anyone id the guitar that Aaron (or was it Bryce) Dessner was playing in the last National tune?
    Was it the Jazzmaster or the non-reverse Firebird you mean?
    It was the non reverse Firebird. I thought it was something else like one of the many Eastwood models.

• ewal said:
    It was the non reverse Firebird. I thought it was something else like one of the many Eastwood models.
    I thought it sounded great whatever it was...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    Kebabkid said:
    I thought John Mayer sounded good tonight.

That one's still waiting for me to watch it.

I don't think it should wait much longer.

GP&tR ... remember those guys from their peak in the 70s ... Heat Treatment et al.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

ewal said:
    I thought it sounded great whatever it was...
    Just watched The National clips again. They are a fine, fine band - can't think of many that are better at the moment.
  • Nice to see big Martin Belmont with Graham Parker. Martin used to go to school in Yeovil with a mate of mine. But my mate allways say he Martin was the rhythm player ! Enjoyed that show watched some of it this morning. Enjoyed John Mayer and Graham Parker, and Lissie was quite refreshing too.
  • There is a free live ep mp3 of Lissie on amazon I noticed. Not heard it yet but on my iPod for walking the dog later.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Just watching last night's. Jools' interview with John Mayer didn't want to make me hide behind the settee ( that's sofa for southeners) and I am warming to JM and his little demo of blues styles.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12878
    Just watching last night's. Jools' interview with John Mayer didn't want to make me hide behind the settee ( that's sofa for southeners) and I am warming to JM and his little demo of blues styles.

Unlike his one with Terry Pratchett and Maddy Prior. How does he remain so utterly fecking useless at interviewing people? He's been doing the job for 30 odd years for god's sake.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2013
    I finally got around to watching the Friday show and JM really shone and I think Jools really liked him as he gushed more than he usually does. Anyone spot the rare Dumble Steel String Singer (as used by SRV) and not surprising with JM being such a big SRV fan and even bagging SRV's guitar tech, Rene Martinez.

I noticed the Klon Centaur being hit for his solo on the last song, "Call me the breeze" and I believe that was an Alembic guitar he was using. Liked the subtle sound of the autowah, probably from the Adrenalinn, on the solo for "Wildfire".

Lissie reminded me of Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. No surprise then when I looked her up on t'internet that one of the first things that came up was her covering "You can go your own way". She had a good guitar player (nice sound and feel).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Indeed a good episode.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Just got around to watching it. Somewhat underwhelmed.

The National were dull and predictable. Editors crossed with Arcade Fire.

John Mayer seems to be able to infuse anything he does with utter blandness. Interesting how so much expensive equipment can produce something so completely boring sonically.

Lissie was pretty good. Her second song was the high point of the show, the only one with any real passion. Nice to see a sensible amount of gear for a change too.

Graham Parker was OK. I never got into him back in the day, and I still didn't really get it. Sorry!

London Grammar sounded like they were trying too hard to be arty. Something about her voice annoyed me, and I normally like that kind of thing. (Second song was better.)

The brief clip of Steeleye Span was much better than anything up to that point…

Ballaki Sissoko was very good.

I'll go away and have more coffee now :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2013
    Crickey ICBM. I haven't seen "speaker" damping like that since I borrowed a Rivera M60 :)

Fair play...you know what you like and don't like, and I am a gusher.

Enjoy your coffee :)
  • I'm still running a week behind with Jools, but last weeks interviews were just dire, what was Jools thinking (or not as the case maybe)
    They must have been one act down with time to fill, but with embarrassing drivel ?

Does anyone know what that 12 string teardrop used by Alex Turner on the Arctic Monkeys song was, I really quite fancy one, and I never really liked teardrops.  Any ideas?

P.S.   Just caught the short version of this weeks, loved Ballaki Sissoko, great stuff.