Marshall JMD?

photekphotek Frets: 1507
Anyone got one? Any Good?

I have just seen the 501 for sale in the classifieds and it reminded me about them. I liked the idea and the video demos when they first came out and quite fancy trying one.

Ta.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    A friend of mine has one. It sounds quite good - it definitely captures the flavour of various eras of Marshall, although that's all it does - the effects are reasonably useful although nothing special, and the programming is simple and intuitive, but...

It does not project or cut through a mix well. I've also heard a lot of reports of unreliability, mostly to do with the switching and programme storage. His one occasionally seems to 'forget' as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622

Yeh, agree, they look good. Great demo on youtube with Doug Aldrich. Every Marshall sound you want plus a great pedal included. But they didn't seem to take off like I expected & made very little waves. Seen several in the last week or so for the £250 mark with little interest. Seems to me a hell of a lot of amp for that money. Andertons wre knocking em out brand new for £399 when the RRP started about £700 IIRC

Be interested in yr thoughts if you get to try one

Cheers  Baz

• photekphotek Frets: 1507
    edited September 2013
    There seems to be quite a lot of positive chatter about them as gigging amps for cover bands on the various US forums. I would personally want a 100w head and use my existing cabinets.

@ICBM Do you suspect the lack of cut in the mix is down to the combo format and its MDF build or more likely to be with the tones produced?

The switching concerns me more actually as I hate it when stuff like that goes wrong. Instantly puts you on the back foot and once I have a lack of confidence in something it gets sold!

Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    edited September 2013
    photek said:
    @ICBM Do you suspect the lack of cut in the mix is down to the combo format and its MDF build or more likely to be with the tines produced?
    No, his one is a head and he uses it through the same cab as a JCM900. It just seems to lack dynamics or 'presence'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• They were awful,didn't sell well and sounded terrible...there's a reason they ended up half price. I tried one whe they came out and was left wondering what on earth had happened to Marshall for them to make such an awful amp..possibly even worse than the haze...the design team from this era are responsible for some shocking amps...
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 622

Yeh,  Marshall seem to have got stuck in a rut.... such a shame. Seem to have gone like Nokia...sat on their laurels whilst the competition passed them by.

If the JMDs are unreliable then that prob explains why no longevity with them. On paper they look superb

Cheers

Baz

• On the bright side, you could use them as a decent valve power section for any other modeller (eg the POD HD) at the fairly low second-hand prices...
    <space for hire>