Sending Virgin Media box signal to TV upstairs

What's Hot
We've got a virgin box on the TV downstairs but would like to send the signal so we can watch the same thing on the TV upstairs also. I know you can get hdmi splitter boxes, but I was wondering whether there was any way the signal could be sent wirelessly? Anyone looked into this? I've been doing some research online but all I'm finding is discussions from a couple of years ago, which are fairly inconclusive. The TV upstairs is a smart TV with built in wireless, is there a way this could pick up the signal? Or, would it be possible to use one of those network home plug things to somehow run the signal through power line? Any help is greatly appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Sorry iPad not splitting paragraphs.....
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    I believe the only way to get 2 virgins at the same time is to spend A LOT of money.........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you type but instead of bb you type br you should get a paragraph break. Slight pain in the arse.
    You can pay Virgin for a second box IIRC, but I guess you want to avoid that.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    edited December 2014
    When we upgraded from our old V+ box to a TiVo one, Virginmedia moved our original box to another room for us. This was a few years ago but IIRC we paid a one-off installation fee and another fiver per month for this. Means we can watch different things in each room, and both boxes automatically receive the same range of channels. at the time (again IIRC) Sky would have charged PER BOX for additional packages such as movies or sports.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    HAL9000;437486" said:
    Sky would have charged PER BOX for additional packages such as movies or sports.
    But the Sky solution to the OP's problem would be to buy a magic eye for 20 quid.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    edited December 2014
    HAL9000;437486" said:
    When we upgraded from our old V+ box to a TiVo one, Virginmedia moved our original box to another room for us. This was a few years ago but IIRC we paid a one-off installation fee and another fiver per month for this. Means we can watch different things in each room, and both boxes automatically receive the same range of channels. at the time (again IIRC) Sky would have charged PER BOX for additional packages such as movies or sports.
    We weren't offered that when we changed from V+ to TiVo a couple of months back. Didn't even know it was an option tbh. We had to send our V+ back within 7 days.

• boogieman said:
    HAL9000;437486" said:
    We weren't offered that when we changed from V+ to TiVo a couple of months back. Didn't even know it was an option tbh. We had to send our V+ back within 7 days.

we weren't offered it either. Now we have TiVo which is much slower and harder to get around than V+. Since then we have had a smart tv with Freeview HD and Now tv so the TiVo is just sitting there until I can get out the contract.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2084
    I use a wireless sender/ receiver set which attaches to the SCARTs on my sky box and receiving TV.

We tend to move into the front room during winter and Sky is set up in our back room / conservatory. No way I'm paying for multiroom, so the wireless sender works really well - as long as you are happy that you can only watch the same thing on both TVs.

I'm sure it would work with Virgin too. 

Just make sure you get a 5Ghz wireless so that you're not impacted by microwave / phones / laptops etc.

We get zero interference and pretty much perfect picture. Remote infrared sender works well back to the Sky box too.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Cheers all I'll look at those scart wireless jobs I think. Doesn't look like the technology exists yet for hdmi which is a shame.

Holnrew- I'll have a think about that but I'm actually already using a powerline kit for the broadband so I'll have to work out if I can add a hdmi adapter into that as well.

I guess the other thing is my VM contract is up this month, so I might see if they'll offer me an additional box for free to keep me....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    EricTheWeary;437581" said:
    boogieman said:

HAL9000;437486" said:When we upgraded from our old V+ box to a TiVo one, Virginmedia moved our original box to another room for us. This was a few years ago but IIRC we paid a one-off installation fee and another fiver per month for this. Means we can watch different things in each room, and both boxes automatically receive the same range of channels. at the time (again IIRC) Sky would have charged PER BOX for additional packages such as movies or sports.

we weren't offered it either. Now we have TiVo which is much slower and harder to get around than V+. Since then we have had a smart tv with Freeview HD and Now tv so the TiVo is just sitting there until I can get out the contract.
    Weird, we've had the opposite. The TiVo is much better than the old V+, the picture quality is way way better, especially on hd channels and it's much quicker to respond. The only odd thing is the programs it records automatically, based on what it thinks we like. Bears no resemblance to anything we actually watch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    boogieman said:
    EricTheWeary;437581" said:
    boogieman said:

HAL9000;437486" said:When we upgraded from our old V+ box to a TiVo one, Virginmedia moved our original box to another room for us. This was a few years ago but IIRC we paid a one-off installation fee and another fiver per month for this. Means we can watch different things in each room, and both boxes automatically receive the same range of channels. at the time (again IIRC) Sky would have charged PER BOX for additional packages such as movies or sports.

Weird, we've had the opposite. The TiVo is much better than the old V+, the picture quality is way way better, especially on hd channels and it's much quicker to respond. The only odd thing is the programs it records automatically, based on what it thinks we like. Bears no resemblance to anything we actually watch.
    Yeah, I find it pretty good, especially since the interface got updated. I like having Netflix on there too. 

It does automatically record shit like Holby City and Heartbeat because I record Neighbours though. And I do wish you could view the guide without all the channels you're not subscribed to.
    My V key is broken
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    edited December 2014
    I use the Virgin TV anywhere. I have the Lap top set up and my works computer. So i can watch any of my channels at work( on works computer) or in any other room in the house on the lap top.

I thought my son was a bit young for setting the recording of Peppa pig! now i know its the Tivo box.
  • Suprised by the love for TiVo, very slow in comparison to V+. The interface is too busy too. My whelm has been distinctly under with it.
  • Chuffola said:
    I use a wireless sender/ receiver set which attaches to the SCARTs on my sky box and receiving TV.

We tend to move into the front room during winter and Sky is set up in our back room / conservatory. No way I'm paying for multiroom, so the wireless sender works really well - as long as you are happy that you can only watch the same thing on both TVs.

I'm sure it would work with Virgin too. 

Just make sure you get a 5Ghz wireless so that you're not impacted by microwave / phones / laptops etc.

We get zero interference and pretty much perfect picture. Remote infrared sender works well back to the Sky box too.
    I also use this . 5.4 GHz sender from Maplins paid about £50. Use it with my FREESAT box Picture is great and it also picks up the remote signal so it functions the same as the tv downstairs.