Experiences buying off Lazy Gumtree sellers

A while back I bought an Epi Dot off gumtree, the ad said mint condition, with hard case, hardly used etc. So i gave the guy a bell and he had really shitty communication skills on the phone so anyways I went and met him at a massive farmhousewhere he lived at the agreed time. I knocked and waited, knocked and waited and then the most stoned looking teenager came and answered the door obvs just out of bed (well it was 3pm, bless him)

Anyhow he grunted for me to come in and went to get the guitar, after what seemed like ages he appeared with the guitar that looked like it had been stored in the chicken shed, black strings, dirty fingerboard, truss rod needed adjusting as the neck was proper wobbly, loose input jack and knobs. greasy fingerprints all over it. 

So I gave it a good look over and although it was dirty it wasnt dinged and I could see that underneath it was a nice little guitar.

So I knocked him down by a few quid and he just stood looking at me which was awkward. "you said it comes with a hard case" Says I. 

"No I didnt" he said. "You can have the case for £30 though"

So I showed him the the ad and there it was with hard case included.

So he did a bit more grunting and fucked off back upstairs, queue lots of banging and crashing and he reappears with the hard case.

"Err, shall we call it a tenner for the case then?" he said.

"No" says I. Anyhoo I got the case included in the price and It cleaned up to be a great guitar. 

Bloody teenagers eh?

"OUR TOSSPOT"
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3166
    I've had similar experiences. I bought a 6 unit Rack case from a guy over in a crappy part of Stevenage. Went into his flat and it stank. Dirty washing and food every where, he was some big fat mess with his shirt undone. He pulls out the case, asks if I was a DJ to which I said I'm a guitarist. Gave him the money, said bye and quickly got out of there. 

Most people I've dealt with have been very nice people (a few guys on this board included) but there are one or two who really don't seem to get out and talk to people much.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 488
    i've bought and sold things through gumtree and mostly been ok (with a few unpleasant nutters thrown in)

but i mostly think of gumtree as a potential portal into a dark underworld and alternate universe, where the normal rules of social interaction and etiquette no longer apply
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16281
    edited December 2014

Mr J Burger ^

bloody pure teenager here........

I pure figure you zzzzzzzzz  still owe me zzzzzzz £12......

£2 for  zzzzzzzz each of the pure strings. why don't we zzzzzzz pure round it up tae £15?

eh? zzzzzzzzz

tae be or not tae be
  • I went to see an "immaculate" Levinson Blade. I telephone him to ask what conditon it's in as he lives quite a way away, and I  explain I don't want to waste my time due to the journey involved.  I am assured I'll never see a cleaner guitar in my life.

After driving for nearly an hour, this strange bloke comes to the door, and sits me down. He wanders off and cue lots of banging and crashing.

So he brings this thing down, with all the gold worn off it, massive fretwear on the cowboy frets, and a huge ding in the back of it. 

Then he says, that he doesn't really know much about guitars, so don't I think it's in good condition?

When I get up to leave, he then wants me to look at another guitar he's got and give him a view on whether it's any good. No.

I then answered another ad for a "portfolio" of guitars, to be sold piecemeal.  No list available, but her friend has done a spreadsheet and she'll consider offers.  I tell her I've got about £350 GAS fund and she's fine with that.  So again miles out, into the wilds of Lincolnshire.  Three ladies in the house plus the seller, putting up Christmas ornaments.  Cue excel spreadsheet with exacting detail about every guitar, but no prices.  So I express interest in a clear lacquer strat,  and offer £400 for it - which I think is fair - it's a highway one, I think.  Some wear, but otherwise ok.  Fine, she says.  I'll get back to you when I've spoken to my friend as to value.  Three days later she phones and says she'll sell it me for £450 as I've been put out so much by going back twice.  No.
  • Four years ago I texted to ask if the £40 Boss TU-3 in a week-old ad was still for sale. Got "YES" in reply and after hard work with half-a-dozen more texts with equally short replies, went across London to see it.

The place was a 4th floor flat on some dodgy estate in Elephant & Castle. Nobody answered the door, but somebody was in the shower (window next to the front door) so I waited till they finished and knocked again. :)

Some young Polish man answered the door and showed me the tuner which was mint, boxed and came with a 3-month old cash receipt from Macari's. I bought it, guessing lack of English explained the crap texts, and probably why nobody else had been to see it before me.