Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clinton cards council estate xmas card

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'd say Strictly is on in our house rather than watched. Apart from when Frankie from the Saturdays is on. Sigh =((
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6327
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    thorpy6 said:
    Having grown up on a council estate with some of the most friendly, lovely people around, this card makes me angry. It's stuff like this that hinders social mobility and creates an "them and us" mentality that is bad for all.
    I grew up on a council estate too, and it was it with some of the most friendly or lovely people around. They were all dole scum, drug dealers, tramps, bullies, viscous dogs and vicious kids.

The card made me guffaw. People need to stop being so fucking sensitive.
    I don't think its a case of being sensitive, ultimately the card has no impact on my life its just sad the way we do each other down. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I'd say Strictly is on in our house rather than watched. Apart from when Frankie from the Saturdays is on. Sigh =((

Aye go on then ;)

We're a one telly household, at my insistence. (Gasp!!!!!!!!!).
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I've lived on a council estate and I thought it was funny...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I've lived on a council estate and I thought it was funny...
    What's a 'council estate'? Do the people sit round on a regular basis, and have soul searching beneficial to all meetings and such like?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272 said:
    I've lived on a council estate and I thought it was funny...
    What's a 'council estate'? Do the people sit round on a regular basis, and have soul searching beneficial to all meetings and such like?
    I think you'll find in general a 'council estate' is designated as an area where at least 60% of the property was or is owned by an associate of Dame Shirley Porter.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • She's in Israel hiding from the police.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    No more of a sweeping statement than what thorpy was implying.
    marantz1300;438801" said:
    Drew_fx said:

thorpy6 said:

Having grown up on a council estate with some of the most friendly, lovely people around, this card makes me angry. It's stuff like this that hinders social mobility and creates an "them and us" mentality that is bad for all.

I grew up on a council estate too, and it was it with some of the most friendly or lovely people around. They were all dole scum, drug dealers, tramps, bullies, viscous dogs and vicious kids.

The card made me guffaw. People need to stop being so fucking sensitive.

Bit of a sweeping statement.Bit like all Jews are tight,all blacks are muggers,all Public School boys grow up to become Pedophiles.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Not really representative of today's council estates. These days, getting a council house is like a lottery win. After 5 years you get to buy it with a 100K discount, then, if it's London, flip it for 750k or so.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    edited December 2014
    Also, it's not the only card that could be labelled in some way or other. There's shedloads of sexist cards out there, too. Not that I'm bothered, and this card is no better or worse than those IMHO.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I lived on council estates for a fair chunk of my life - quite a few of my relatives still do.  I chuckled at that card, and do not feel bad in the least for doing so.  It's not exactly the peak of intelligent humour, but 'vile' and 'beyond offensive'?  Really?  How do people like that function in society?

If they start banning cards which might be slightly offensive to a few sensitive individuals, there will probably be very few cards left!  
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The flaw in that is that many benefits claimants don't live in a council house but privately rented accommodation paid for by the government. Many council house tenants are proud hard working people ..

Not sure what George Osbourne's shotgun has to do with it ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fuss? The real issue is should Pixie Lott have been kicked off Strictly...

The band should take responsibility for her getting the boot. Everyone knows you can't cover the 52's Love Shack cos you can't get the energy into it. No energy in song = no energy in the dance. It was a rookie mistake.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Fretwired said:
    The flaw in that is that many benefits claimants don't live in a council house but privately rented accommodation paid for by the government.

Actually paid for by public money, the same as the emergency services and the government itself.  It's strange because the vast majority of benefits claimants actually work and the vast majority of the government claim and spend money on unnecessary outlays despite working and earning vastly more than those who are forced to lived in council houses, sheltered accommodation or shithole private rented accommodation.

Why Santa is not a politician -

1. He does not have a serial record of breaking promises made only to gain power, ultimately knowing that no authority has the power bring him/her to account.
    2. He doesn't believe that a select elite should be able to slaughter wild animals for sport.
    3. He doesn't get a ridiculous amount of annual leave paid for by the public.
    4. He spends most of his time working in his actual town of residence, rather than living in an unnecessarily extravagant London crash pad.
    5. OK, fair play here, both Santa and politicians drink alcohol during working hours.
    6. He doesn't leave his home at the slightest whiff of a cheap publicity opportunity.
    7. He doesn't wear designer suits, all claimed for on expenses and then have them chauffeured to and from the dry cleaners - also on expenses.
    8. He hasn't used a load of different names and a system based on nepotism to claim wages for non-existent employments roles to defraud the public or in order to fail to declare interests or seats on various boards of directors.
    9. Although he gets letter from people demanding that he owes them stuff he doesn't simply think "Fuck 'em, I'm elected now.  I'll just make some bullshit excuse up in 4 years time and blame either the previous administration, foreigners or underclass for my pitiful inaction."
    10. He doesn't get hold of all the latest gadgets and designer gear if it not 'a gift', simply claim it from the public as necessary expenditure.
    11. Even most kids believe in Santa.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I was brought up on a council estate in Essex . Both my mum and Mum in law still live there. I think everyone is just to PC these days.

If we want to ban things then what about TOWIE , this does not really represent the real people from Essex. The people is that programe are really Londoners who moved out into Essex. Am I offended by TOWIE .. of course not it is just theatre .

I must say though I do see cards now that I do find offensive clearly displayed with blatant sexual comments that would make a Lad's Mag blush , and would never be allowed on the shelves of WH Smith.  Do I care personally. Not really , but am concerned they are on open display for Kids to see.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    The flaw in that is that many benefits claimants don't live in a council house but privately rented accommodation paid for by the government.

Actually paid for by public money ..

Not necessarily the case. The government has lots of money - it can borrow money, it can sell assets, it can lease/rent assets, it can issue bonds and more importantly it can create large amounts of new money via the Bank of England. As George pointed out last week tax receipts don't even begin to cover what the government spends. We don't get a say in how the government spends the money it raises via tax, borrows or prints so technically it's the government's money.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • musicegbdf;439742" said:
    I was brought up on a council estate in Essex . Both my mum and Mum in law still live there. I think everyone is just to PC these days.

If we want to ban things then what about TOWIE , this does not really represent the real people from Essex. The people is that programe are really Londoners who moved out into Essex. Am I offended by TOWIE .. of course not it is just theatre .

I must say though I do see cards now that I do find offensive clearly displayed with blatant sexual comments that would make a Lad's Mag blush , and would never be allowed on the shelves of WH Smith.  Do I care personally. Not really , but am concerned they are on open display for Kids to see.
    Agreed.
    Towie, geordie shore, made un chelsea - complete and utter shite.
    Truly dreadful programmes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    You mean they're not a true representation of the British public?