Messing about in the workshop (Dining Table) Ha Ha

What's Hot
Got this a few weeks ago but only just had the time to test it out properly tonight.

Seems ok so far, just getting to grips with it as i'm used to working on a full size wood lathe. Not trying to do anythig at the moment other than set everything up, I need to mount it on a base board to stop it from moving at high speed and probably need to make a slightly larger tool rest as I find it a bit small.

My plan is mainly to turn pegs for antique guitars and lutes but I will also see if I can turn some small wooden goblets and maybe candle stick holders. I don't have any decent wood at the moment just Ash and Elm for testing things with, hopefully in the new year ill start properly doing stuff.

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16465
    edited December 2014

shame you ain't a bit closer, I've got some oak that you could have that came down in the late winter last year, and will have some apple, pear, plum and cherry when I get of my arse and do some pruning.

EDIT: keep meaning to set up a pole lathe and do a bit of turning etc, but the shed I built to do it in keeps getting taken up with my wifes crap :(

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:

shame you ain't a bit closer, I've got some oak that you could have that came down in the late winter last year, and will have some apple, pear, plum and cherry when I get of my arse and do some pruning.

EDIT: keep meaning to set up a pole lathe and do a bit of turning etc, but the shed I built to do it in keeps getting taken up with my wifes crap :(

Aye that is a shame especially in regards to the fruit wood as thats the best wood for making tuning pegs from. I actually have loads of pear that I left at uni after finishing my Masters, I should probably go and pick it up.

I also need to buy a small band saw too and maybe a disc sander, in fact lots of things I should get.

Oh yes I also forgot to mention im also looking to make wooden jewllery like rings too.
    Old Is Gold
    how big would you need the fruit wood to be? I've probably left it too late (a fucking gain) to prune the plums but the pear and the apple desperately need doing in the dormant period. The pear will be mostly about 2" - 3" in diameter, will that be too small. The apple will be bigger, but a lot of it will be dead (died back in the spring and I never got round to cutting it off), some of that is about 8" in diameter. I could post stuff to you at cost if it's not too big (erm, and you're not in a massive hurry, I tend to work at a glacial pace).

• VimFuego said:
    how big would you need the fruit wood to be? I've probably left it too late (a fucking gain) to prune the plums but the pear and the apple desperately need doing in the dormant period. The pear will be mostly about 2" - 3" in diameter, will that be too small. The apple will be bigger, but a lot of it will be dead (died back in the spring and I never got round to cutting it off), some of that is about 8" in diameter. I could post stuff to you at cost if it's not too big (erm, and you're not in a massive hurry, I tend to work at a glacial pace).
    For pegs 1 1/2" would be enough, other stuff could be fun for making bigger stuff. I have enough pear I think but would be interested in Apple or Plum, only issue is I would have to dry it before use which for natural drying would take about 1 year. But yeah thats a kind offer and yeah if you cut any apple or plum id be happy to pay for the delviery stuff :-)
    Old Is Gold
    plum won't be done for a while (can't recall of the top off my head the pruning time for it, but I think it's spring/summer, will need to check) will do the apple  sometime between now and the late winter, will let you know what I get and what I can send you.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Bloody hippies, with their wooden jewellery and candle holders!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9083
    Lathe acquisition syndrome
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mrchi;438373" said:
    Bloody hippies, with their wooden jewellery and candle holders!
    I'm going to live in the forest :-)

Old Is Gold
    Earlier in the year I was helping out a couple who are doing just that thing. Little cabin in the woods, all off grid, using only hand tools and all that. He kept saying they were after another person/couple to move onto the land and help them work it. Really appeals to me, but mrs F is not so keen. Guess I'll have to settle on building a round house in a quiet corner on our own land instead.

• Sounds like back to nature swinging to me
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4318

This is probably how the Manson Family got started. Before you know it, will be LSD for breakfast and planning grisly murders.

I mean the living in the woods, not the making pegs.
    edited December 2014

hmmm, you seem to be saying this is a bad thing.

I mean LSD for breakfast and planning grisly murders, not the making pegs.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    Yay, a sawdust making machine!

Pens, you need to make pens.
    Every craft fair I've ever been to, the "pen man" is swamped in OAP's with no idea what modern technology is, so think this will make an "ideal gift".

Oh, and congrats.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • It makes me sad to imagine how different the this country's industry sector might have been had the young Margaret Thatcher opted to attend lathing classes rather than Tory political  get-togethers;  Alas it appears the lady was not for turning.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2518
    You were really stretching for that one weren't you?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    You were really stretching for that one weren't you?
    It just wouldn't stop rattling around in there.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    It makes me sad to imagine how different the this country's industry sector might have been had the young Margaret Thatcher opted to attend lathing classes rather than Tory political  get-togethers;  Alas it appears the lady was not for turning.

@VimFuego said:
    EDIT: keep meaning to set up a pole lathe and do a bit of turning etc, but the shed I built to do it in keeps getting taken up with my wifes crap

Ah, it was the poles that did for her then.

;-)
    just a case of mixed messages, I sent her out for forage and it got a bit confused.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12657
    VimFuego said:
    Earlier in the year I was helping out a couple who are doing just that thing. Little cabin in the woods, all off grid, using only hand tools and all that. He kept saying they were after another person/couple to move onto the land and help them work it. Really appeals to me, but mrs F is not so keen. Guess I'll have to settle on building a round house in a quiet corner on our own land instead.
    Im hoping to build a round house at the bottom of our garden if I ever get time, Ive bought this book, very thorough indeed

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    I'd love to do an iron age style roundhouse, but looking at them they seem to use about twice the timber of a reciprocal framed roof one, and require thatching. Would be a fun project though.