Christmas cake/Pudding?

What's Hot
Is there actually much of a difference? I had some cold Christmas pud a while ago, and it just tasted like a slightly richer version of Christmas cake to me.

I can only conclude that there must be some kind of conspiracy going on. Either that or my taste buds are knackered.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't really like either
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I never have either, always way too full from the dinner.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272 said:
    I never have either, always way too full from the dinner.
    exactly. if you need pud, you haven't eaten enough meat & veg
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    There's nothing to say you can't have either until after your dinner, is there? You can eat them any time, nice with cup of tea, or maybe a glass of port.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Christmas cake is a fairly conventional rich fruit cake.  Christmas pudding is similar ish but has breadcrumbs and suet to make it more of a steamed pudding rather than a cake.  Most important is the amount of brandy etc that has been used to soak the fruit first.  About a third of a bottle for us this year.

It should be noted that Christmas pudding is essential after all of the turkey related gluttony.  Even if it hurts.

In the unlikely event of any left over pudding you can make a very yummy ice cream, similar to cookie dough, but Christmas pudding.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    Yum yum yum. I do like a good Xmas pud

• There's nothing to say you can't have either until after your dinner, is there? You can eat them any time, nice with cup of tea, or maybe a glass of port.
    I prefer cheese with my port

• In the Andrew Mitchell Good Food Guide it simply says that puddings are the cakes of fucking plebs.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    In the Andrew Mitchell Good Food Guide it simply says that puddings are the cakes of fucking plebs.
    That can't be right. What about all the spotted-dick puddings the public schoolboys have to eat at prep school? 

• Pudding is richer tasting and dryer. And unpleasant.

The cake is a much better proposition - though only when it has a thick layer of marzipan and icing....

It's a miracle I've recently lost just over a stone....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12881
    In the Andrew Mitchell Good Food Guide it simply says that puddings are the cakes of fucking plebs.
    That can't be right. What about all the dick the public schoolboys have to eat at prep school? 
    Fixed that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    There's nothing to say you can't have either until after your dinner, is there? You can eat them any time, nice with cup of tea, or maybe a glass of port.

Nah, for me that's it food wise for the rest of the day I'm afraid. I normally eat only what I need, as I hate feeling full and bloated. And, I always say in my head on the drive up on Christmas Day, "I will NOT eat that much dinner that I feel I've been raped by an elephant".

However, as we have the day/night at my parents and sleep over, I don't have to drive anywhere, so as soon as we get in, the keys get hung up, and the bourbon gets hunted down. Thus, by lunch time, I've completely forgotten my mantra. Then after the lunch, there's only room for booze I'm afraid. 

Every fckn year  :(
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."