Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wah on your board or off your board?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3526
    edited January 2015
    Grunfeld;466197" said:
    Off of course.  On is "tidy"; off is rock 'n' roll.

I rest my case.
    Having a pedalboard at all is distinctly non-rock'n'roll, sticking yer wah on the floor doesn't negate that ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    My Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah was on the floor, but I bought the Chi Wah Wah for its small footprint and it now lives on the board. I like having it all wired in and easy to set up. Its only a couple of cables different, but I prefer it.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Mines off. PT2 fully loaded no room spare..and it weighs a ton as is. Probs taking a couple of pedals off soon but will just spread 'em out more rather than put the wah on in the newly afforded space. Crybaby 535Q is heavy enough to sit on the floor and stay put next to my board as is. And on rehearsals I often don't use it so its a dead weight to carry around for nothing.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    On the board for me.   Anything that makes setting up at gigs a little quicker and I use a wirless so I just have the cable from the board to plug into the amp and I'm good to go.
  • a million miles off my board, because I hate Wah, but I guess that's not the question?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with @hubobulous on this. I've got a Plutoneium Chi wah which only takes up the same space as a normal pedal and you "rock" it with your heel on the floor. As long as the pedal is on the front row of the pedalboard you can keep things nice and tidy and keep the wah on the board.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4955
    Interesting thread as previously I've kept the wah separate. My Vox 847SP is battery powered so having just bought a Behringer pb1000 I can now mount it on the board and use an adapter to mains power it. I've just ordered some blank foam holders so I can experiment without ruining the compact pedal sized precut foam holders.

Pros are convenience ie everything in one carry casw unit, and mains power. Cons are extra weight although I can always take it off the board where I know I won't need it. Also, as it means another pedal in the chain I'll have to see if it noticably impacts on tone when not engaged.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • John_P said:
    On the board for me.   Anything that makes setting up at gigs a little quicker and I use a wirless so I just have the cable from the board to plug into the amp and I'm good to go.
    Thanks for this comment. I'm just building a pedal board and was going to put the wah separate. I also just bought a wireless unit today and never even thought about the fact that the unit will be on the board and the wah needs to connect with it somehow! Doh :)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8093
    I ended up with mine offboard - only took a few extra seconds to set up - I used a 18" cable and had wah to the right of the mic stand, little board to the left - think about power if offboard - I had a suitable length lead coming off my gigrig generator. 

I actually found it more comfortable for being flat on the floor rather than slightly raised or titled as most boards are too 
    Red ones are better. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    Mine is on my board at the moment, because I had the space.  It'll be the first to go if I get something new

Some companies make space on the board for exp/wah/vol so you can use them, without the incline:

Found a pic of a rehearsal setup:

Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Found a pic of a rehearsal setup:

nice vertex ;D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    haha - yes - it made me laugh when all that came out - I bigged-up the BBE (on the old forum) when I got it - it saw off modded Crybabies, a Teese, EB Wah - nicer overall imho. Then all the Vertex shit hit the fan.

Maybe this makes my "early, sought-after" BBE worth a truckload of cash? ;-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    haha - yes - it made me laugh when all that came out - I bigged-up the BBE (on the old forum) when I got it - it saw off modded Crybabies, a Teese, EB Wah - nicer overall imho. Then all the Vertex shit hit the fan.

Maybe this makes my "early, sought-after" BBE worth a truckload of cash? ;-) 

ha, maybe if the serial number is low enough and hype gets going ;)

I actually own a Vertex Nos Wah (BBE Ben Wah), it was £40 and it clearly impressed a lot of people.

It is nice, but a bit noisy if near a power supply, did you find that? It might mean mine leaves the board
    Yep, as was Crybaby and Teese.
    I ditched the transformer based supply (Pp2+) and went Gigrig
    Red ones are better. 
  • Off. Otherwise it picks up hum & noise from other board-mounted kit. tbh I don't use it much anyway, and during the last year has spent all its time at home.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FezFez Frets: 573
    On board, used to have a bit of noise but the one spot has cured that.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I don't have one but if I did it would definitely be on my board. I wouldn't be able to press any other pedals whilst using it so I can't see any need to have it off to the side.

But like I said I do t use one!